Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What do you put in your nappy bucket as a sanitiser?

(11 Posts)
Kalikaroo Wed 15-Jul-09 16:11:30

Hi! smile I'm a cloth nappy first time user (DS is 3 months old). I've been using a mixture of terry squares, bumgenius and motherease one size.

I was wondering what exactly a 'sanitiser' is for when soaking nappies? [daft question emoticon] blush

I've been using white vinegar and a couple of drops of lavender oil in the nappy bucket for the nappies that get soaked before washing (as suggested by the nappy lady website).

My Mum used napisan when I was a baby, but I don't really like the idea of putting chemicals in since my washing machine is ancient and not that great at thorough rinsing.

Any suggestions for alternatives would also be gratefully received! grin

HensMum Wed 15-Jul-09 16:16:57

I dry pail. Always have done and have had no issues with it.

I usually rinse out the buckets with boiling water and tea tree oil when I'm washing the nappies which keeps them clean and nice smelling. The buckets only smell if I haven't put the lids on tightly enough!

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Wed 15-Jul-09 16:18:46

we dry pail as well, bucket gets rinsed with boiling water and lavender oil, I put a couple of drops of lavender oil i the bucket lid after each wash just to keep it a little fresh smelling.

JoesMummy09 Wed 15-Jul-09 16:21:55

We're supposed to put something in the bucket? shock

I have been using cloth for 16 weeks and I swill the pail out with a weak bleach solution 2 or 3 times a week.

Seems to work ok

missmama Wed 15-Jul-09 16:23:14

We dry pail too.
A few drops of tea tree oil after we have rinsed it out .

sunfl0wer Wed 15-Jul-09 17:43:13

We dry pail also! Try putting a couple of drops of tea tree oil on a cotton wool ball in the lid of your bucket. That way when you open it you get the tea tree smell rather than the nappies and it has anti-bacterial properties. A good hot wash with soapy water every week keeps it clean.

BikeRunSki Wed 15-Jul-09 17:48:49

Tea tree oil and lavender oil. Have used Olbas oil when desperate! I also don;t like the idea of using chemicals. Have you tried the Asda Eco washing liquid (for washing, not soaking) - it smells gorgeous, leave nappies all cinnamony, and gets poo out at 30o!

Kalikaroo Thu 16-Jul-09 14:25:05

Thanks for the info everyone - much appreciated! smile

Scaredycat3000 Thu 23-Jul-09 22:11:24

Do you dry pail with poo nappies? Awaiting my full time kit to arrive grin, but can't imagine leaving poo nappies in a dry pail!

BlueChampagne Fri 24-Jul-09 11:32:57

Another dry pailer. Rinse poo nappies first.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Fri 24-Jul-09 12:26:50

we dry pailed too - no poo soup in our house! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now