Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

DD easily toilet trained but now we're going backwards - help!

(9 Posts)
beatie Thu 19-May-05 11:51:44

I put my dd into pants at 29 months and so it was a realtively easy process. Apart from the odd accident when she was engrossed playing with friends, she'd take herself to the potty or ask to go to the toilet, for wees and poohs.

Now, a few weeks on, we are having problems with poohs. The past 3 days she has done it in her pants. Following on from that she has had some large 'wee' accidents when the potty has been near and she wasn't engrossed in playing.

What do we do now? Incentives? Put her back in nappies? Persevere and hope she goes back to using the toilet/potty?

MamaMaiasaura Thu 19-May-05 12:52:53

has anything changed at home or is she at nursery (changes there?) Did she get a 'big' reaction when she had her accidents. My sisters dd3 reverted for a bit and part of it we think was to do with control. she was asserting herself in the only way she felt she could in terms of control.

elliott Thu 19-May-05 12:55:48

Well I found that we had periods of things going well and then phases of relapses - it went on like this for ages. I don't think there was anythign underlying it, jsut every so often he would get a bit lazy and we would need to reinstitute bribery/lots of positive praise for avoiding accidents.

katzguk Thu 19-May-05 12:56:28

we had a relapse for about a month, fingers crossed we seem to have to sorted it out. We have resorted to full out and out bribery!! i got some plastic heart bracelets from tesco party range (4 for 50p) and showed her, we said if she went two days without having an accident then she would earn one, four days later we have hopefully turned the corner

NannyL Thu 19-May-05 21:25:16

dont go back to nappies PLEASE! it will just confuse her...

stick with it, remind ehr lots, Praise LOADS when she gets there in time, ig nore accidents as much as poss, but make he go INTO the bathroom to take off wet clothes, finish her wee on the loo, and put clean clothes on (as much as poss herself) then wash her hands.

She will soon realise its a lot more effort (nnd you STILL have to go to bathroom) to have an accident then to use the loo!

singyswife Thu 19-May-05 21:33:38

Good advice about the making her change her pants. Have Just toilet trained DD2 who is 25 months. Started on Friday and today she managed the whole day with no accidents. Am so happy!!!! Will expect her to go back on that though. Think they all do, just to see what it is like to be a baby again. Just reinforce the big girl message and your DD should be fine. Dont worry.

beatie Fri 20-May-05 07:55:02

Thanks for all the messages and advice.

I put her in pull ups for an afternoon nursery session yesterday ( I was so scared they'd have to clean up another pooey mess) but she's back in pants and I do realise we shouldn't have put her in the pull-ups and won't again.

I've bought a new sticker chart and will just persevere with the heavy praise.

workingmumnhs Sun 22-May-05 03:47:44

Am having issues with dd`s nursery. She rarely has an accident at home but every day when I pick her up from nursey she seems to have wet herself. The principal wants me to put her back in pull up's or at least provide a pair. I am reluctant due to the mixed messages thing. I just think if she attends a preschool for 2-5 year olds they should expect accidents and not get stroppy when she does. I get paranoid that they are going to get angry with her and I don't think it is really her fault. How should I approach them.

Fran1 Sun 22-May-05 09:34:23

I wonder if children start wetting themselves because the "novelty" has worn off for everyone. When they are first trained they get loads of praise for the wees, then they realise this all stops and things get into normal routine, so the child things hang on a minute i know how i can get some attention!

Remain very bored looking, don't say anything except you should have done that in the toilet, clean up and new clothes and back to whatever you were doing so they get minimal attention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now