Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Itti Bitti users - can I pick your brains before I buy please?

(10 Posts)
Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 12-Jul-09 23:19:22

I've had DS in Bambinex bamboo since he was about 8 weeks old. I love them, but feel the need to branch out grin

They are fairly bulky and some of his clothes are going to be too small in the bum soon. I don't want to move up a clothing size as then the legs are far too long. I have looked at clothing cut for cloth nappies, but it's very expensive and for the same or less money I could get a few Itti Bittis to use under certain clothes - if the fit is as slim as they claim.
So my questions.

Are they really as slim as a disposable?

If you get coloured ones do they run in the wash? (All my Bambinex are cream and I don't want to dye them!)

Are there any others brands/types I should be looking at?

DS is a fairly heavy wetter - will Ittis be ok for him? (I am not thinking of using them overnight, I have some wool shorties on the way for that)

thank you

mumface Mon 13-Jul-09 09:00:13

I'm using Itti Bitti's on my 3 week old DS. They are much slimmer than any other washable I can think of but not quite as slim as disposables. I wash my coloured ones royal blue,red etc with white bimbles & flexitots & they have not run.
I have also just bought a minkee magicall AIO they are not quite as slim as itti's but no bits to flap around when putting on & they are higher in rise & not as skimpy in size.
I tried it without bamboo insert for slimness on newborn & it wasn't as good as itti so will try it with next time. It is a black one & that did not run in wash either.
Hope this helps.

EllieorOllie Mon 13-Jul-09 13:21:38

they leak, don't do it. go for bumgenius. very slim, so much better with a heavy wetter.

Octothechildherder Mon 13-Jul-09 14:00:47

Itti Bitti are slim and are def the nappy to buy atm - bumgenius are also very popular but not as slim with both inserts in. Neither should run in the wash - but I would pre-wash the ittis with colours! They do ivory ones which are cute.

Fuzzi bunz are fab in my experience although there are 3 sizes.

If you are just going to get a couple to fit under clothes then you will be fine - personally I would stick to the nappies you have if they are working well. In summer baby can wear cute cloth nappy with vest and babylegs on grin

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 14-Jul-09 13:43:52

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Octo - I've not heard of Fuzzi bunz <heads to Google>

I am going to still use what I have the majority of the time, would just be good to have something slimmer to use for a few hours during the day sometimes.

Mumface - I'm encouraged to hear that yours haven't run!

Ellie - I had thought that bumgenius were pretty similar to what I have, but perhaps I need to look into them more - thanks

4andnotout Tue 14-Jul-09 14:05:51

I use itti's as my main day nappy and love them (im actually obsessed and had to have every colour for both dd's!)

Mine have never run in the wash and i wash on a 60*, i had leaks when dd3 wasn't quite big enough for the larges but as soon as she chubbed up a bit they fitted lovely and now they are 100% reliable for us.

They are definately the slimmest nappy we own and look gorgeous!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 14-Jul-09 14:12:40

4and - can I ask what weight the larges became ok for DD3? I am planning on getting this size for DS. Thanks

4andnotout Tue 14-Jul-09 14:14:19

She was probably about 18lbs or so

KirstyJC Tue 14-Jul-09 14:33:23

Hi - I have just used my first Itti (or rather my DS has!!) and I think I am in love.....grin. It took me ages to actually put it on him, 'cos I kept stroking it all the time!blush!

I got a large in the tiger print and also got a sep insert set as well. He is only about 19lbs but is a chubby little thing so he had no leaks, despite being at the very lowest 'advised' weight for that size nappy.

The nappy is incredibly slim cut in the crotch, and the inserts seemed quite thick when all folded in, but actually when it's on it is lovely and slim fitting - clothes were definitely looser than some other nappies!

He just wet the first insert so I was able to replace that and keep the outer which was dry. He had worn it for about 4 hours and it wasn't that wet at all tbh - I only changed him 'cos I wanted to put his night nappy on. They wash well too - he did one of his 'acrobatic' poos (miss the liner completely, somehow managing to poo all over the insert underneath the liner - how DO they do that?) and it went on both inserts and a bit on the outer too (on the inside fleece) and they all washed out beautifully at 40 degrees.

I mainly use BumGenius and I actually love them both equally. I will be using BG when he starts nursery and saving the Itti for home in the sunshine where I can see it (and stroke it!). As far as slim fitting goes, I can't really see any difference. Drying is about the same too, as the BG inserts are thicker so although the Ittis are bamboo it seemed about the same.

I say go for it and buy one - but beware you will get addicted!grin

sunfl0wer Wed 15-Jul-09 17:32:33

I agree with all the positives - we LOVE our ittis. So much so - that my main stash are bamboozles - but i keep buying new ittis to 'top-up' and to go with new outfits. The become an addiction!

Def purchase some additional inserts - you can then just change those and re-use the shell as you would with a two-piece system.

The colours dont run and I've had a multitude all in the wash at once wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now