Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

2.5 year old boy asks for nappy for poos - any ideas?

(15 Posts)
Vornsta Wed 18-May-05 16:34:02

My son will wee in toilets and potty but absolutely refuses to poo anywhere other than a nappy. He has total control - always asks for nappy when required but just won't do it in loo or potty. Have tried suggesting nappy in potty - doesn't work, also new pants for pooing in potty, plus ages of gentle rminders of where bigboys poo. He is just not buying any of it and can't explain why not - just "want to poo in nappy" any top tips?

nerdgirl Wed 18-May-05 16:40:00

Had exactly the same problem Vornsta. Solved it eventually by making him use his nappy in the bathroom and spending AGES over changing him. Plus a bit of gentle encouragement but no pressure. He soon decided that it was less trouble to use the toilet.

WigWamBam Wed 18-May-05 16:43:09

Having had well over a year of this with my dd, my only advice really would be to relax, and let him have his nappy. She got to the stage where she would scream and cry hysterically if we even suggested she poo in the toilet, and it was obviously upsetting her so much that we let it go until she was ready. She's 4 tomorrow, and has been pooing in the toilet for about 6 weeks now, quite happily, having decided for herself that it was a good idea.

People told me to just relax and ignore it and I thought they were talking absolute tosh, so I know you'll think I'm talking absolute tosh too, but you'll give yourself (and him) far less stress if you can relax and ignore it. Training for wees and poos are two completely separate issues, and if he's not ready to use the potty yet, my advice would be not to force it.

Distel Wed 18-May-05 17:07:04

Have you tried putting a nappy on and then asking him to sit on the potty?

starlover Wed 18-May-05 17:19:30

why don't you just get rid of the nappies. if he can't have one then he'll have to go on the toilet/potty!

WigWamBam Wed 18-May-05 17:21:38

starlover, it's not that easy. When I took the nappies away from my dd, she just witheld her poo and made herself ill. If he's not ready then he's not ready, and there's no point in stressing everyone out by forcing it.

mrsflowerpot Wed 18-May-05 17:23:57

Agree with WWB, we had this with ds and you do just have to go with it imo. It's brilliant that he will tell you that he wants to poo - my ds' trick was to go off and hide and do it in his pants which was a nightmare. The more fuss you make over it the bigger deal it will become. It's a good idea to take him to the bathroom to do it though.

bigdonna Wed 18-May-05 20:42:42

hi vornsta, have you tried using a sticker chart or a treat for doing a poo on the potty.I look after a little girl who would not poo in potty a sticker chart worked for her.and a special treat out of sweety jar.

popsycal Wed 18-May-05 20:43:21

bribery
stickers for sweets

popsycal Wed 18-May-05 20:44:04

my two year old was scared to do it in the potty - got very upset at first but after a few times he was fine

mckenzie Wed 18-May-05 20:58:15

agree with wigwambam. A friend of mine had exactly yhe same problem with her daughter and once she (the mum) relaxed about it and didn't make an issue of it the daughter soon started using the toilet instead.
I guess it's another one of those 'it'll happen when it'll happen and not before' scenarios.

Vornsta Thu 19-May-05 11:32:37

thanks alot for advice everyone, I am trying to stay relaxed and laid back about it WWB, so I certainly don't think you're talking tosh! - I like the bathroom idea nerdgirl. I have considered just removing nappies but I agree that could backfire and make it into an issue.
So there are no magic solutions then, I was sure there would be!

ambrosia Thu 19-May-05 11:42:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vornsta Thu 19-May-05 11:58:11

thanks ambrosia! and star chart idea is a good one except that ds has NEVER pooed in loo or potty and I think if he did it just once problem would be solved, so it's not a case of rewarding repeated behaviours IYKWIM

ginnye Fri 20-May-05 09:23:41

we are having this problem with dd1 who is 3 tomorrow... poo on potty earns her the moon sticker she loves but the way i see it at least she's pooing (she went without for over a week to begin with!!!) and she'll get there eventually...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: