Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Reusable nappy user virgin

(13 Posts)
mobar Fri 10-Jul-09 12:27:48

can anyone give me any suggestions. preggers with number 2 and really want to use reuseables but quite frankly havent got a clue which ones or what i will need

Scorps Fri 10-Jul-09 12:37:06

I was a nappy virgin until last week grin

I got Tots Bots, 15 of them and 5 wraps. Basically you put on the cloth nappy, then the wrap over the top. I put paper liners in the nappy to catch the poo, you can flush thesel iners down the toilet.

Other nappies are all in ones - like Itti Bitti D'lish. They have snap in liners/padding, but they are just one piece, no wrap needed on top.

I change every 3 hours unless poo, they don't leak at night, and i wash them in with clothes at 40c. No fabric conditioner though. They do take a while to dry, hence why i have 15. They can tumble dry but i am just airing them outside weather permitting and then popping them on radiators to air.

mobar Fri 10-Jul-09 12:45:09

congrats and thanks now have an idea at least

purplesal Fri 10-Jul-09 13:28:45

Did you know that there are nappy advisors all around the UK? Mainly they are just mums who love cloth nappies and want to rave about them to others. They do demos in your house or in their house and will explain just how all the different nappy brands and nappy types work. You can do lots of research on the internet but it really helps to actually see the nappies and touch and feel them.

Lollipop have the biggest number of advisors throughout the UK - contact them through their website and they'll put you in touch with the one most local to you www.teamlollipop.co.uk

mobar Fri 10-Jul-09 14:39:06

thanks will do that

rusmum Fri 10-Jul-09 20:04:11

i used sandys from new born- just outgrown size small at 12 months so a good buy! I have just bought in size 2- use with airflow wraps. I am selling my size 1's but this is not why i am recommending- lol

duvetheaven Fri 10-Jul-09 20:09:22

You need to think about build of baby too. I recommend Sandys, Upsy Daisy's , Little Lamb Bamboo and Itti Bitti's as they are a good fit on my chunky DD 10 mths.
Bumgenius are very popular on this site and I use a couple but I wouldn't buy anymore. Best to try out before you commit to buying more than a few of anything.

plimple Fri 10-Jul-09 20:15:33

I needed 24 nappies and about 8 wraps with my DD to start with. When I moved onto size 2 ones I still needed 24 (I like to be able to leave them til I've got a load to wash and it also helped when going away for the weekend - I weirdly wouldn't even use disposables on little holidays!), but I got more wraps as mine seemed to lose their waterproofness so I'd have to change the wrap each change.

tracedw Sat 11-Jul-09 23:14:54

My son is 4 months old and 1st in cloth. I made a mistake and bought loads of one type whilst still pregnant and then when he was born, didnt like them or too bulky. I would suggest seeing an adviser be,fore or even asking friends who may know of someone using cloth to get a demo,if you were in my area i would be more than happy.
As it stands now,i have 2 or 3 of most styles of nappy for variety and i would not want too many of the same. The pocket type nappies tend to leak more often,especially with boys,and some one size nappies can be too big for newborns.I would def recommend getting some size 1 shaped nappies for a newborn,try looking at used nappy sites for second-hand ones.
Sandy`s ,tots bots bamboozles,bumgenius and Motherease wraps are all recommended.
Good luck

midlandsmumof4 Sat 11-Jul-09 23:26:37

Wow-is there really such a thing as a nappy advisor? When my eldest was born we had terry towelling nappies (one size fits all grin) and plastic pants to put over the top. Nappies went into a bucket for soaking and then washed/rinsed. How times have changed.

twoclimbingboys Sun 12-Jul-09 17:56:22

I like all of duvetheaven's recommendations, particularly Upsy Daisy (esp their night nappies) - I didn't get on with cotton at all so the sandys would have to be bamboo imo. Wee Notions Northern Lights are excellent too.

Wool and fleece are excellent as the wrap for overnight, as it is breathable and better for their skin. Fleece is easier maintenance, but Blake has fab shorties from the Soaring Sheep.

tracedw Sun 12-Jul-09 18:54:48

I`m now only getting into the wahm and more special pocket/A12 nappies. There is so much variety on the market that as a newbie it can all be a bit of a mind melt especially with a newborn as well.
Never tried wool but bought a fleece wrap for nights and with extra boosting,poor ds couldn`t lie down properly so its still in cupboard gathering dustsad
I agree with you about bamboo,absorbant and slim fitting.

sunfl0wer Wed 15-Jul-09 17:51:50

Hi Mobar - I'm a nappy advisor covering Manchester and the surrounding areas. Are you local to me at all? - I might be able to give you some face-to-face real nappy advice

Its always best to get your hands on the nappies and see what they are like for yourself before you go ordering your full birth to potty kit. As you can see from the responses to your post - not all nappies suit all babies or families wink

www.manchesterrealnappies.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now