Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

17 month old, taking nappies off and weeing everywhere.

(12 Posts)
iamamummy Fri 10-Jul-09 11:09:53

i have a 17 month old ds who is what i think quite forward and understands most things i say to him etc.

i have started putting him in pull ups because he can take his nappies off regardless of what clothing i put on top.

he now takes his willy out over the top of the pull ups and wees rather than doing it in his pull up.

i am really at the end of my tether with this as i am washing bedding/matresses daily not to mention several clothing changes and clearing up the mess on the floor.

when he doesnt have his willy out weeing, he has his hand down there fiddling.

i purchased a potty for him yesterday but havnt started training as i wondered if it was too early so have come to you wise mummies for advice.

he understands wee and poo, i ask him if he has and he nods and goes to the bottom of the stairs to be changed or if his nappy bag is at hand he gets the nappy himself and gives it to me.

thanks!! smile

VinegarTits Fri 10-Jul-09 11:19:49

I would say he was ready for a potty, start training him, when he does wee in the potty give him loads of praise, if he wees elsewhere, ignore and clean it up minimal fuss

FAQinglovely Fri 10-Jul-09 11:21:55

I wouldn't rush too quickly to start potty training him - all 3 of my DS's did the same thing at that sort of age. They stopped after a little while.

DS1 wasn't potty trained until he was nearly 3 (and then he wasn't really ready but I pushed him as DS2 was due about 2 months later)

DS2 - he was about 2 1/2yrs before he was ready (and was easy to train)

DS3 - he was doing that as well - but he's now 2.1yrs and definitely not really ready to potty train (the weeing everywhere stopped with all of them before they were ready to train)

ches Sat 11-Jul-09 03:19:38

Start training him slowly and gently. Leave him in the pull ups, but offer him the potty regularly as you would if he were in pants. DS was clean & dry by 18 months but not taking responsibility for it himself until 27 months. No more nappies but I did have to take him to the loo regularly. ("Do you need a wee" always results in the answer "no," often followed by an accident straight after as they realise they do actually need to wee and now that it's in the forefront of their mind they can't hold it anymore.)

FAQinglovely Sat 11-Jul-09 09:04:06

now you see if they weren't doing it on their own at that age I wouldn't keep on "nagging" at them. If they can't do it unprompted I'd say they're not really ready smile -

foxyiscuttinherhairoff4charity Sat 11-Jul-09 09:14:31

put his nappy on backwards.

FAQinglovely Sat 11-Jul-09 09:15:12

lol foxy - that's not going to help much if he's still his willy over the top of the pull-up grin

iamamummy Sat 11-Jul-09 11:06:09

thanks ladies, we have taken the potty upstairs next to our toilet and everytime me and dp went yesterday we took him up and sat him on the potty.

he now looks at the potty and says wee wee. i am not going to pressure him in the slightest just encourage him when we go to the loo and as he gets older take it from there.

ches Sat 11-Jul-09 23:05:06

FAQinglovely why should I have made my child stew in his excrement because he acted like a 1yo and didn't take responsibility for his own toileting? He was blatantly ready to be toilet TRAINED because he was continent, he just needed some help using the toilet.

FAQinglovely Sun 12-Jul-09 21:35:13

sorry but in MY opinion if they need help to be using potty/toilet then they're not ready - and definitely not ready if they're constantly being reminded to go for x months smile.

BriocheDoree Wed 15-Jul-09 17:18:18

I know a couple of kids who were like this and were trained between 18 and 20 months. Give it a go. If he really doesn't get it, no law says you can't put him back in nappies. FWIW DD (who has SN) was trained at 3.5. Currently trying to train DS (two) but no idea if it's going to click or not (only been two days so far).

elliepac Wed 15-Jul-09 17:29:33

following this thread with interest. DD 17 months has done exactly the same thing at the childminder's today. SHe has started to tell me when she wants her nappy changing so is obviously aware of wee etc. Am still of the opinion that it may be too early....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now