Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Has the bottom fallen out of the used nappy market?

(52 Posts)
LackaDAISYcal Thu 09-Jul-09 10:13:27

boom boom grin

I'm trying to sell some outgrown and surplus nappies on the used nappies site and they just aren't shifting hmm. I've sold loads in the past and never had any problems, but even the size 1s which are pristine haven't had any interest. I don't think my prices are too high given the condition of the nappies....

Has anyone else had this?

PinkTulips Thu 09-Jul-09 10:18:20

same problem here... have some nappies in great condition, good brands but no-one seems interested... i would have thought with a recession people would be even keener on picking up quality stuff for cheap but looks like i've just wasted my money listing them angry

TheFool Thu 09-Jul-09 10:31:56

It is really weird - I had assumed (based on my current sales!!) that people were buying MORE used and less new.

Weather like we have had normally helps in the nappy market too (people see sun and realise they can dry them so the world of cloth might be ok... months with lots of rain = lower sales ime).

I have no idea what is going on.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 09-Jul-09 10:44:02

I'll not bother relisting again, and might try on here again.

they are mostly shaped nappies and wraps, maybe every just wants to buy itti bitti d'lish and blueberry onesize these days hmm

LackaDAISYcal Thu 09-Jul-09 10:44:37

TheFool, are you Flame?

SoupDragon Thu 09-Jul-09 10:45:50

I'm tempted to give mine away because I can't see anywhere that makes it worth selling them.

PinkTulips Thu 09-Jul-09 10:46:48

you'd think in a recession people would turn to clothe in huge numbers what with it being so much cheaper than sposies hmm

tres bizarre

lackadaisycal... on here is no better atm.... i put them on here a while back and had zero interest

LackaDAISYcal Thu 09-Jul-09 10:49:54

I know PT, I tried selling on here a while ago, and sold a few, but not enough. My DH is complaining about the piles of nappies lying around.

There does seem to be a lot of swapping going on here rather than buying/selling.

oliverboliverbutt Thu 09-Jul-09 10:51:12

well I'm looking for Motherease airflow wraps in small & medium if you have any.

Lots of people have started listing on e-bay again and just not putting that they are used (and also leaving the new bit blank).

I think everyone get the message that way, have seen stuff selling there.

rasputin Thu 09-Jul-09 10:53:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

puddock Thu 09-Jul-09 10:59:20

Surprised to hear this, I looked for a while on a few sites for used versions of the nappies I wanted (large Sandys), gave up and bought new in the end.
Still in the market for large airflows in reasonable condition though (I know this isn't the place, but if anyone has any going, point me in the right direction...)

puddock Thu 09-Jul-09 11:03:25

By the way, only slightly off topic, what would you nappy sellers do with half a dozen well-used totsbots? Still absorbent enough, but the elastic is not what it was, they're a bit threadbare so the nippas won't grip, and they've gone a bit crunchy.
I couldn't sell them in that condition really, but would happily give them away or do something useful with them, like recycle them into boosters or wipes...

oliverboliverbutt Thu 09-Jul-09 11:08:11

offer them on Freecycle.

4andnotout Thu 09-Jul-09 11:08:15

I ended up giving my size 1 nappies away ffp as no one was buying them.

Nappies with higher rrp ie itti's, weenotions, blueberry's etc are all still doing well.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 09-Jul-09 11:09:30

Oh, I'm not trying to get sales here oliverpoliver, just having a moan smile

(but no ME wraps anyway wink)

puddock, you could offer them FFP on the classifieds here? I'm sure someone would appreciate them smile, or recycling them into boosters is a good idea if you are handy with a sewing machine.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 09-Jul-09 11:11:08

I thought so 4; no-one wants old fashioned shaped terries do they? It's all the "new generation" napppies that are popular.

Still, you'd think for someone on a budget some size 1 shaped would be perfect.

4andnotout Thu 09-Jul-09 11:16:05

I think you have hit the nail on the head, i only use itti's and bbos nowdays but i think thats because i only had terry squares and pull on plastic pants for dd1&2 so i have gone to town on pretty cloth for dd3&4!

If anyone wants to give them away have you thought about trying a local womans refuge?

TheFool Thu 09-Jul-09 12:13:17

yes, I'm Flame

Octothechildherder Thu 09-Jul-09 17:39:31

Ebay has ground to a halt in terms of sales across all sectors sad

LackaDAISYcal Thu 09-Jul-09 18:02:59

that surprises me Octo, as I'm busy snapping up bargains rather than buying new for my DC as we are down to one wage now. That's maybe why I am getting monsoon and boden stuff for a couple of quid a time.

I thought ebay would be booming in times of recession.

CarGirl Thu 09-Jul-09 18:08:21

Message withdrawn

coppola Thu 09-Jul-09 18:14:44

All my posh nappies sold v quickly at asking price on clothnappytree. I can't sell/give away the fluffles, back-up MEOS though

CarGirl Thu 09-Jul-09 18:18:07

I'm surprised about the fluffles as they dry quick and no longer made, however I think the explosion in slimmer fabrics has made a big differe, bamboo and there's another one too isn't there?

coppola Thu 09-Jul-09 18:20:28

I know, I was snobby about shaped nappies for ages, and then the fluffles were the ones I really LOVED, I feel sad that nobody wants them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now