Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help needed - all wraps suddenly leaking badly on toddler

(10 Posts)
nellymac Mon 06-Jul-09 21:50:11

Hi
I have not posted on here before but did a search and couldn't find a similar post so hope some cloth expert will be able to help me.
I have been using cloth nappies on ds (21 months) since he was about 4 months, we have a wide variety (!) of nappies but the wraps are mostly ME airflow and Nature babies poppery ones. They are not that old and still fit him well but suddenly they are all leaking really badly. It doesn't seem to be at the seams but through the material. I have always been careful to wash them on a low temp, with a small amount of non-bio powder and to let them dry on the clothes horse, so I don't think they are damaged. do they just wear out?
Should I just give up on cloth and switch to disposables, add even more boosters to the nappies, replace all the wraps or what? is there anything I can do to make them waterproof again?? I am in such a dither about this, I don't want to spend a fortune replacing everything if DS ends up potty trained in a few months or if it can be resolved by some simple means!
Sorry for the long post, hope someone can advise.
thank you!

toolly Mon 06-Jul-09 21:56:54

I'm not an expert, ( but I too use ME wraps) but I did hear the sometimes PUL wraps can be made waterproof again if your briefly (10mins no more) put them in the tumbledrier. It has worked for me when they've inexplicably started leaking for no apparent reason.

MrsBadger Mon 06-Jul-09 22:20:47

they do just wear out - one of my second- (third? fourth?) hand MEs just gave up the ghost - even the drier trick didn't work.

Bin and check out boocoo bargains.

nellymac Mon 06-Jul-09 22:21:49

Thanks so much Toolly, it's definitely worth a try. Much appreciated!

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 06-Jul-09 22:37:58

I used to get leaking nappy/wrap when the children were doing bigger wees and needed a bigger/more absorbent nappy or a booster.

However that used to be leaks at the legs or waist, the extra wee that the nappy couldn't hold got squashed out.

I had motherease wraps that lasted two children, washed in with the nappies on 40 or 60 degrees and they were good enough to be sold on after.

So, hmmmmm.

The breathable fabrics do tend to lose waterproofness after time, so if the nappy is leaking through the fabric, then it could be still that you need a bigger size/more absorbent nappy as the more is absorbed into the nappy, the less can leak. worth a try?

Both my boys were potty trained at about 25 months though if thats any help grin

tracedw Tue 07-Jul-09 14:59:56

Hi,i too had a leaky ME rikki that i bought nearly new. Have you checked the waterproof bit for cracks or splits.Hold wrap up to light and check,you may be suprised and see hair line cracks,like i did.Didn`t try the tumbledrier, mine has broken. Good luck

morocco Tue 07-Jul-09 18:41:09

I'm selling a few large m/ease airflow if you're interested grin

have you been soaking them? that makes the waterproofing go quicker. or using softner?did read you can stick them in the dryer to re do them but have never tried it myself

deckchair Mon 20-Jul-09 13:04:11

Nellymac - I was just about to post the very same message as yours. My ds is about the same age as yours and his wraps have all started to leak at the same time; although some are old and some fairly new.
Thanks for posting this - I now know about the dryer trick - however, I do not have one!

jeanybeeny Mon 20-Jul-09 14:20:45

It's important to make sure all the nappy is tucked inside the wrap, otherwise you will get leaks. Have you tried using traditional pull-on plastic pants? I know some people don't like them, but they're cheap and cheerful and work fine imo.

Octothechildherder Mon 20-Jul-09 20:33:07

I have never known motherease covers to wear out - some of mine have been through 3 kids and I have never been careful at washing drying! Have never heard about the dryer trick - mine have been through it ALOT.

I would suggest strip washing your nappies and covers - two washed with no detergent at all at 40-60 degs. This will clean out any build up of detergent and improve absorbency.

If the wetness is coming through the PUL it is likely that your nappies aren't absorbing enough as you shouldn't get to the situation after 2/3 hours that wee is pooling next to the PUL. Strip washing will resolve this.

If this all fails buy some second hand covers to see you to potty training or if you have a real nappy network - as if you can borrow some covers to see if you can resolve the problem - I work with the Wilts one and regularly lend out just covers. You could try a nappy advisor aswell as they sometimes hold trial kits.

Don't give up though! If all else fails I will lend you some wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now