Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What to do with old reusable nappies?

(14 Posts)
Sid Tue 17-May-05 15:11:35

I've got about 40 reusable nappies in my loft, which have been used on 2 children, and was wondering what I could do with them. A friend mentioned that she had heard of a charity which sends them to Africa. Does anyone else know anything about this? They're not really in good enough condition to sell to anyone.

TrophyWife Tue 17-May-05 15:18:31

there is a lady, Rosie Brooks that has posted on here before asking for kids tshirts for kids in south africa, i dont know if she would be able to find a use for them i belive that her email address is on the link. i have sent her books and toys aswell as clothes for the kids. HTH if the link dosent work here's her email rosie_brooks@hotmail.com

throckenholt Tue 17-May-05 15:28:11

you can put them in the textile recycling bin if you can't find anything better to do with them. Have wondered myself what to do with mine (although I can't convince my kids to give them up quite yet ).

hub2dee Tue 17-May-05 15:33:40

Are they really beyond reuse ? Perhaps not 'top quality for sale' but there are sometimes posters / lurkers on here that may be glad to take them off your hands for minimal cost / p&p etc. because they couldn't afford a full / new set etc... There are also classifieds on MN / UKP / Nappy Lady etc. Try putting a 'For Sale' on here perhaps in the first instance and see if you can help anyone out ?

KMS Tue 17-May-05 21:33:44

I know Lollipop send old nappies out to africa. Contact Head office for information on 01736 799512. or if they are still useable do as Hub2dee has suggested and try and sell them on.

moondog Tue 17-May-05 21:39:13

I was wondering this myself. I'm using my lot for the second time and they're if anything,more absorbant than first time round. Surely passing them on is very much in the spirit of things? I would like to pass mine on when I'm finished,not so bothered about the money,(although that would be a bonus!)but would like to know they are being used.

roosmum Tue 17-May-05 22:08:21

i agree w. hub2dee, surely somebody wd like to give washables a go for little outlay (like to thinkj so anyway ) cos they are expensive to get initially, no getting away from it...i shd know, spending a packet on birth-to-potty prefolds just cos i didn't know that much abt washables, & hadn't discovered MN! but i WILL make them work dammit!

misdee Tue 17-May-05 22:11:17

i have some size 3 tots, that i'm hanging onto in case dd3 gets as big as dd2 (not looking likely atm tho). but they are threadbare and some are a bit holey. still absorbant tho. they are very emaressing if anyone sees them tho. (over 18months pf daily use/washing/tumble dryer)

starlover Tue 17-May-05 22:12:43

I would imagine that someone on here or wherever might be interested for minimal cost...even if they only want one or two to try out before shelling out on new ones!

roosmum Tue 17-May-05 22:14:06

holes? wow misdee, they must've seen some action!
now, how to 'accidentally' wreck my prefold system so i can require new nappies??!
no, seriously, they're ok...

misdee Tue 17-May-05 22:15:57

well i only have 11, and they were in use since dd2 was 11months (august 2003) till last month. did have to replace the wraps in january/feb tho.

bensmum3 Tue 17-May-05 23:33:31

I'm in the process of filling an aquabox (emergency relief box) at the moment and they ask for a few nappies and wraps to be included.

Sid Fri 20-May-05 14:09:12

Thank you everyone. Perhaps I'm being too 'spoilt Westerner' about it and should try using them for my next one. It's just that mine too, are a bit holey and I was thinking I might invest in another lot. I worry about those textile bins - that the clothes going in there just end up on a tip somewhere. I did read somewhere that charity shops, for example, can't sell all the stuff they get and end up spending £000s to have it destroyed..

wavingordrowning Fri 20-May-05 17:42:13

This is from the Natural Child website (www.naturalchild.co.uk)

"Do you have any old cloth nappies that you do not use anymore?
We support a wonderful charity, 'Blythswood Care', that sends nappies out to wartorn Moldova. So many of you are now sending nappies and clothes, that we now have 15 bin liners ready to leave! This is fantastic news. Thankyou all for your generosity. If any more of you have any nappies lurking in the bottom of your nappy box, please send to M.Smith, Timbukthree, New Tolsta, Isle of Lewis, HS2 0NN. Thankyou."

Might be worth investigating...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now