Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Potty training advice and car journeys...confused!

(14 Posts)
smellydeli Mon 06-Jul-09 19:18:43

Hello everyone, my DD is now 2.6 and thinking now is the time to start potty training. I work full time so was wondering if doing over the weekend is long enough? Luckily nursery also do potty training so hopefully she'll be fine. Back to my subject thread, how did you manage when you were out in the car? Any tips welcomed, thanks everyone xx smile

bert74 Mon 06-Jul-09 20:50:20

We just put a 'pampers change mat' on the car seat to catch any accidents before they ruined the seat!

nigglewiggle Mon 06-Jul-09 20:52:27

We got a "piddle-mat" for the car-seat and a porta-potty with disposable liners.

lexie01 Mon 06-Jul-09 20:59:46

We have just finished potty training so all quite recent. For the first few weeks we continued with nappies for most car journeys. We then invested in a special seat cover (which I think is called a 'piddle pad' which I got from Great Little Trading Company)which stops leaks onto the seat and we also carried a portable potty around with us just in case. So far we haven't had any major problems but there is always a worry when she falls asleep. Good Luck!!

rubyslippers Mon 06-Jul-09 21:01:14

we have had to stop once or twice for a road side wee BUT as DS has got older he can definitely hold it for longer

i used a muslin under him for a while (carseat)

smellydeli Mon 06-Jul-09 21:58:36

Thanks for your advice everyone, will look into the piddle pad - what a name! Lexie and all - how long did it take to potty train? Thanks

lexie01 Tue 07-Jul-09 17:48:49

We did it really gradually so it took a few weeks. Started by bringing the potty into the living room which she started to use immediately. Because DD drinks quite a lot she struggled for a while to get to the potty/toilet quickly enough but after a few weeks got much better. Luckily only had wee accidents! Still in nappies at bedtime though. Hope this helps

smellydeli Tue 07-Jul-09 22:07:37

Thanks for that Lexie x

plonker Tue 07-Jul-09 22:11:28

I have a towel under where dd sits on the car seat - luckily dd is really good and just shouts to me that she needs a wee and we pull over and use the travel potty smile

plonker Tue 07-Jul-09 22:13:41

Don't quite understand what you mean by is doing it over the weekend long enough?

smellydeli Thu 09-Jul-09 21:39:48

sorry for my late reply, I meant in terms of timescale, books out there saying can potty train in a week and some of DH mates said their DC were done in a weekend...

AitchTwoOh Thu 09-Jul-09 21:42:23

ho ho. pees very easily sorted ime but poos a whole different ball-game.

feedthegoat Thu 09-Jul-09 21:47:31

I had one of those plastic backed mat things for car seat too. My ds did full potty type wee accidents for a couple of weeks with regularity but had the odd accident for 4 or 5 months tbh. He was ok with poos after first couple of days. Thankfully he now seems reliable! Does anyone actually manage it in a weekend?!

smellydeli Thu 09-Jul-09 22:10:53

thanks for this guys, I'm starting to feel more cofident about starting it, thought a weekend was a bit quick but I bet DH got the wrong end of the stick wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now