Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help! Toddler soaking wet EVERY morning!

(15 Posts)
princessmad Sun 05-Jul-09 13:00:45

Any advice/ideas much appreciated. DS, aged 2.3, is soaking wet each morning - vest, sheet, mattress etc. The nappy is sometimes saturated - but not always, which makes me think that the wee is escaping somehow rather than it being too much for the nappy, if that makes sense. He's in Pampers BabyDry size 5+ - daytime he's in size 4 but I was hoping a larger nappy might absorb more...however, I think the real problem is the leakage onto his clothes etc.

Any ideas? I never had this problem with DD - is it a 'boy thing'?!

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 05-Jul-09 13:05:26

Is it actually sealing around his legs, as if not then it could escape there? I presume that you are making sure that he is pointing downwards.

We have this problem with 8 month old ds, but we now put a fleece wrap around the outside of his disposable nappy! We use Huggies Superdry (the blue packet), which were recommended when he was leaking through other makes.

You could also try to make sure that he doesn't drink too much late in the day, trying to get him to drink more a bit earlier instead. I assume that he isn't waking to drink anything at night?

princessmad Sun 05-Jul-09 13:10:53

Yes, I always point 'him' downwards...someone told me that it can change position in the night, though??

I will check out Huggies Superdry, thanks. I'll try anything!

No, he doesn't wake to drink at night. He does have bedtime milk but only about 1/3 of a mug.

Thanks for the reply.

princessmad Sun 05-Jul-09 13:12:18

Forgot to say, it does seem to be up around his tummy where the wee is escaping as it's always the front of his vest/pyjamas that's sopping. Also his sheet and mattress, usually in a circle, as he sleeps on his tummy.

suwoo Sun 05-Jul-09 13:15:31

Wow! That is a lot of wee. My DS is 2.7 and has only just started sleeping through. Prior to this he had as much as 4 bottles (I know, I know) of milk in the night and still didn't get as wet as your DS.

The most absorbant nappies I found were the eco nature baby ones in a size 5.

I would try a wrap over the top of the nappy. I have a blue one you can have for free if you want. Its left over from our brief foray into cloth.

princessmad Sun 05-Jul-09 13:26:10

Sorry to sound stoopid...but what's a wrap? What does it do? Does it absorb any more wee than the nappy?

I know - I'm astounded every morning by how sopping he is, and his surrounding materials!!

suwoo Sun 05-Jul-09 13:44:14

Its what you put on over a cloth nappy.

like this.

This isn't the one I have left, but it gives you the idea.

princessmad Sun 05-Jul-09 14:00:12

Is it big enough for a 2.3 year old? He's slim for his age.

suwoo Sun 05-Jul-09 14:03:09

Yeah, it will be. I can tell he's slim, my DS is also slim but I have him in size 5 nappies.

If you want to email me your address to suwoo@hotmail.co.uk I'll post it to you.

princessmad Sun 05-Jul-09 14:05:59

Thanks so much - will do! Can I pay you for it though?

suwoo Sun 05-Jul-09 14:09:02

No its fine. I have had loads of breastfeeding stuff sent to me by kind mumsnetters recently for free, so want to give something back IYKWIM. Another idea would be a booster folded up at the front of the nappy. I used microfibre cloths from the supermarket which were brilliant.

princessmad Sun 05-Jul-09 14:11:31

Yes, for a while I used bits of cut up muslin cloths and folded them into a pad which I put over his willy. This worked sporadically, but we still had leaking quite frequently plus a soaking wet pad of muslin cloth!

suwoo Sun 05-Jul-09 14:13:26

Not sure muslin is that absorbant, try microfibre.

I've replied to your email.

LemonDifficult Sun 05-Jul-09 14:13:36

We just had this problem. DS (2yr 3 months) started waking early just drenched in pee, poor thing, and we were already using size 6 nappies. After trying a couple of things (i.e. giving last milk drink a bit earlier, trying to make sure most liquids taken in the morning), we've decided to change him last thing at night when we go to bed. It does seem to be working as we've now been doing it for about a month and though he wakes a bit when we get him up he falls straight back to sleep with his new nappy on and he's back to sleeping through til 7am.

HTH

princessmad Sun 05-Jul-09 14:17:58

Thanks Lemon...I had thought of that, but what with lifting DD (aged 4) onto the loo last thing at night, I thought changing DS's nappy as well was a bbit too much like hard work...I am very lazy that time of night!! But it's definitely the next option if suwoo's kind donation of a nappy liner still doesn't stop DS's torrent!

Will check my email again now suwoo - and thanks a million again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now