Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

First day potty training - what is "normal"?

(8 Posts)
MrsTittleMouse Fri 03-Jul-09 13:01:56

DD1 is two and three quarters. She is very articulate and we have been talking about the mechanics etc. for about a year. She has also been able to tell us that she's doing a poo for about a year. I have been umming and ahhing for a while about when to train her and friends have adviced me that the best thing to do is to give it a go - if it works then that's fine, if not then to leave it for a while and to try again in a few months. Which sounded like very good advice.

Last night, DD1 removed her nappy and told DH that she needed a wee and then when he didn't pay much notice she weed on the floor, which I took as a sign that today is the day to give it a try. So far we have had one wee in the potty, one poo in the potty, several more tries of sitting on the potty or toilet and four wet pairs of pants. Is that normal? When should I expect more wees in the potty (rather than in the pants)? Or when should I postpone for a while?

All advice appreciated!

MrsTittleMouse Fri 03-Jul-09 13:45:58

bump!

Another question - how many pairs of knickers do I realistically need?

notnowbernard Fri 03-Jul-09 13:51:05

For me, it starts when a dc can tell you they need a wee or a poo

And be happy to do a wee or a poo on the toilet/potty

And can pull up their own trousers/knickers etc largely by themselves

I would say your dd sounds like she has a good idea about needing to go. Lots of wet pants is normal in the 1st few days

Personally, if the frequent wetting went beyond day 3 and I was needing to constantly remind/cajole/bribe etc I would abandon

I have 2 trained dds. DD1 was a nightmare DD2 was a breeze. 1 was 'trained' (by me), 1 was left to it...

MrsTittleMouse Fri 03-Jul-09 19:37:37

OK, so the total for today stands at -
2 wees in potty
1 poo in potty
7 wet pairs of pants
1 wet pair of shorts
2 accidents when she got off the potty prematurely.
Is there much hope in carrying on for a few more days? Or am I better off waiting another month and trying again? We're off to buy more pants tomorrow!

Jojay Fri 03-Jul-09 19:39:54

We got through 11 pairs of pants the first day.

But we had a completely dry day on day 3, and accidents were pretty rare after a fortnight of starting.

Hang on in there smile

MrsTittleMouse Fri 03-Jul-09 19:52:11

Seven pairs of pants was all I had! Today has been a lesson learned as I ended up putting her in a nappy at 4pm as it was all I had. OK, it sounds as though things aren't as hopeless as I thought, which is good news. I think that one of the problems is that it is taking her quite a while to wee on the potty as she's not used to it, and she is getting bored. Hopefully things will be better at the weekend, as I'll have DH to keep her amused while I feed DD2 and generally get on with the bits of life that are still necessary but aren't potty training-related.

Jojay Fri 03-Jul-09 20:38:05

I found that a potty in front of CBeebies was invaluable for keeping them sat still for long enough!

emalushka Fri 03-Jul-09 20:42:49

Hang on in there. There's no need to keep going through knickers, especially when the weather is so warm. Just leave your daughter naked on the bottom half. This also makes it easier for getting on and off the potty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now