Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

nappy change is becoming really stressful - help please!

(11 Posts)
ineedalifelaundry Fri 03-Jul-09 12:09:10

My 10month old DD absolutely hates having her nappy changed. Actually, what she hates is lying on her back or staying still for long enough to let me change her. She twists and thrashes around, making it almost impossible for me to perform the task. I find myself having to force her to stay still and I'm frightened of using brute force - it just seems wrong when she's screaming and distressed and I'm holding her down, and I'm scared of inadvertently hurting her. It's also largely ineffective because I don't have enough hands to hold her still and change a nappy.

I have tried distracting her with a toy - this works only occasionally. I have also tried changing her on my knee with her face down, and with her standing up leaning on me. Both of these positions make it nigh on impossible to fasten the nappy at the front.

Is her behaviour normal? How can I make nappy changes less stressful for both of us?

LoveMyGirls Fri 03-Jul-09 12:12:46

have you got a baby gym she can lie under?

onepieceofcremeegg Fri 03-Jul-09 12:21:17

Could you (assuming you use disposables) use one of the easy up style nappies, that you don't have to mess about fastening after you have cleaned her up?

With our dd2 when she went through this phase we let her have her dummy during changes (in this house dummies are strictly limited to bed times so created a handy diversion at change time until we had to take it off her again!)

mumbobumbo Sat 04-Jul-09 16:19:47

ummm, sounds normal to me. Admittedly I just hold her down best as I can with one hand, whether she howls or not!

twoclimbingboys Sat 04-Jul-09 21:40:32

same here - I hand him something to play with and then hold him down with one arm and do the change as fast as possible

PacificDogwood Sat 04-Jul-09 21:45:20

Yep, totally normal, very annoying, but normal. They get to an age where they are just too busy to be lying flat on their back allowing you to get on with it grin!!
'Tis a phase and will pass, but stressful at the time.
I have used brute gentle force, distraction, different locations (DS3 was more likely to lie still on his changing table rahter than anywhere else), different noisy toys etc etc. He is now 15 months ols and will cry and fight when we approach the changing table, but when put down he will stay put.

NellyTheElephant Sat 04-Jul-09 22:41:46

This is v normal! With DD1 I shelled out approx £25 and bought a 'Rabbitts safety changing mat' (google it) - it has straps!! A godsend! It lasted through DD2 but now sadly had to be chucked... guess i'll be getting another when DS reaches that stage. Another technique - bit hard to describe, but basically change them on the floor. Sit next to the baby with your legs apart at right angles and lie one leg across the baby's chest and the other leg lies along same direction as the baby's legs, so the baby is held down by your leg and you have both hands free for changing.

eclairea Fri 17-Jul-09 15:23:17

Or, another way of using your legs (and the way I change ds) is to pin one leg to the ground using your foot so you have both hands free. My ds always flips left side up so I pin his left leg. Also I sing to him (action songs are good but obviously you can only do a few actions) and he has something in his hands as well! I assumeed this was normal until I changed one of his friends who was as good as gold!

nigglewiggle Fri 17-Jul-09 15:31:02

I remember being somewhat bemused when DD1 was born and new mums were asking about this. I remember thinking "what's all the fuss about, so they wriggle a bit, no big deal". Fast forward 2 years to the birth of my champion wriggler! DH compares it to wrestling with an alligator! I now know what they were on about.

Good news is, she is now 14 months and in the last couple of months has improved vastly as she seems to understand more. I tell her it is going to happen to prepare her and talk to her throughout. Seems to help a bit.

Good luck

christmasmum Fri 17-Jul-09 15:42:21

Also shelled out on the Rabbitts mat when DD got to this stage and endured endless DH mocking... would not be without it now! She has got used to the straps and no longer whinges, just kind of accepts it as her lot, the same as when she's in the car seat.

scarlotti Fri 17-Jul-09 15:46:11

Our DS went through this stage although it was at a little later than your DD. I used to change him at the window where he could stand and look out. He'd lean back against me so my body was holding his weight and I'd put the nappy on as I had both hands.
Standing up changing is tricky but one you've mastered it, it's quick!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now