Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

9 wk old upset tummy for a week?

(7 Posts)
Londonmummy05 Mon 16-May-05 14:18:19

DS has had a bad tummy since last Monday, strains a lot then does explosive poos, sometimes diaorreah ( can't spell it, sorry!) Went to GP on Friday and she said it's common after 2 months when babies start putting hands in mouth and it should clear up after 5-7 days. It's already been 7 days and no change. He had a sore bot becasue of it but that's cleared up now. I just feel really helpless and he looks like he's in pain when he strains. Haven't had a reasonable nights sleep since. he had just started sleeping from 11 until 5am but now wakes up every 2hours.
Has anyone else had this? My mum thinks we should try and stop last bottle of formula at night ( i'm breastfeeding) But I've been using this for 5 weeks now and he;s been ok, I use milupa aptimel 1st but have starting using the pre made one, could it be this? I'm going to Ireland for wedding on Thursday for 5 days so would really like it to clear up before then.
One moer question (sorry) If i've stopped BFing last thing does it mean that I won't be able to start feeding again at that time? I'd be grateful for any wise advice , feel so bad for dh he;s fine otherwise and still has smiling fits and no fever etc.

NannyL Mon 16-May-05 20:00:38

if i were you i would take your baby back to the doctor...

just to be sure

Good luck!

NotQuiteCockney Mon 16-May-05 20:05:01

You can easily pick up that feed again - you might be a tiny bit low on milk for a day or something, but the impact would be really low. At this age, there's not a lot else you can change, so I'd say dropping the formula would be worth trying. (exclusive bf is better for the baby than giving some formula)

Hopefully someone like tiktok or mears, who know more about babies, will be along.

ruthiemum Mon 16-May-05 20:26:55

I don't know if this helps but my DS who is 2 had the runs for the same amount of time last week and I took him to emergency doctors - doctor said that it was not unusual for this "bug" to last upto 7 to 10 days - which I thought was unusual but to make sure he has plenty to drink. But seeing as yours is only so young still, I would definately go to the doctor just so you can make sure.

Londonmummy05 Tue 17-May-05 09:53:21

Thanks for your advice girls, don't want to go sraight back to Gp as she didn't seem to be too fussed and siad i couldn't give him anything and to keep feeding lots. I'm going to see my health visitor tommorow and have him weighed he seems to be better now, onlya few nappies are loose now ;)

aloha Tue 17-May-05 10:11:04

My dd has had liquid poos practically since the day she was born - like curry soup, according to dh. She also strains before pooing, but I think all little babies do this. They look like irritable tomatoes. DD's poos are so explosive we call them Krapatoa, which is a tad vulgar but it amuses us.
However, she is now three months old, happy, growing fast, chubby and cheery, so I assume it is just normal for her. Liquid in, liquid out.

aloha Tue 17-May-05 10:11:16

She's breastfed, btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now