Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Question about Buying Second Hand Nappies

(9 Posts)
BlueberryPancake Wed 01-Jul-09 16:05:39

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask a couple of questions about buying second hand reusable nappies:

- I find that second hand nappies are quite expensive, really, if they have been used say for one baby, do you expect that a buyer would pay more than half the value of the nappy? Do they really sell at that price second hand?

- In general, if you have bought second hand nappies, have you been happy with the state of them?

I used cotton when my children were younger (had a very good set of small nappies) but I never got a bigger size. Now that my youngest is 20 months, I am thinking about buying some second hand ones but looking at the boards, I think they are selling at very high prices... Is it worth buying them new and selling them afterwards or should I go second hand?? Which is best do you think?

Thanks

BP

roomforthree Wed 01-Jul-09 16:17:43

The second-hand resale value depends very much on the brand and type of nappy.

Most of the expensive nappies have been custom made and/or imported from America.

Which type of nappy are you looking for?

Personally, I buy lots of nappies second-hand, and most are in excellent condition. I sell on those I no longer use for slightly less than I paid.

HTH.

craftynclothy Wed 01-Jul-09 16:21:56

Personally I think it depends on the brand of nappy as to how much they sell for 2nd hand. Some nappies are more in demand than others and I think some stay 'new' looking for longer too ime.

Generally the 2nd hand nappies I've had I've been pleased with. Obviously I've had some that haven't suited dd's shape etc that haven't really been used (but most of those were v cheap).

BlueberryPancake Wed 01-Jul-09 16:22:14

I was looking for a set of let's say 10 nappies, that would fit a baby of 30 pounds, so not BTP. For the rest, I'm flexible. I will buy the wraps new. I really don't want 5 different types of nappies, I just want one type. I am suprised, for example to see a Bumper nappy on a sale price second hand that would come to over half the price of a new nappy (when you include the postage cost). Bamboo nappies are very popular now, right?

purplesal Wed 01-Jul-09 16:32:06

I have aset of 15 x Fluffles, popper size 2 that have only been prewashed. There is also 3 size 1 wraps and 4 size 2 wraps, also only prewashed. Plus one bucket mesh. This all cost over £175 new but I am selling for £100. Would you be interested in these?

lisad123 Wed 01-Jul-09 16:35:00

i brought my first lot 2nd hand and sold a huge bundle of 15 nappies and 5 wraps for £20 blush
I have hardly used my size 2s which i brought from new, but hoping to make some pennies back when i sell.

BlueChampagne Wed 01-Jul-09 16:38:20

I got most of mine off Freecycle grin. Recommend you look there.

BlueberryPancake Wed 01-Jul-09 16:41:01

Hi Purplesal, I'd say no as I don't have enough funds to afford £100... but I know that they are good nappies as I used the size 1 for both my kids.

Which other places would you say is a good to look for second hand nappies?

twoclimbingboys Wed 01-Jul-09 17:04:24

Ukparentslounge and clothnappytree are where I buy most of mine. I am usually pleased with the condition.

I am selling 3 fluffles with stained inners for £7 (for the 3 posted), they were bought new in January and have been used as part of a large nappy stash.

I also have 2 bamboo large Wee Notions Night Notions. 1 old style and 1 very old style, these have very, very lightly stained inners and the elastic on the old style is now loose. I am about to list those for £9 posted for both. The old style one has really cute monkey embroidery and they each include the Night Notions 2 part inserts.

They all got stains when I went through a few weeks of just washing with soap flakes!!!! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now