Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Will my toddler EVER tell me he has a poo in his nappy?

(10 Posts)
kwaker5 Tue 30-Jun-09 15:15:29

And if he does, is this a good sign that I can start toilet training him?

He is 2.8 now but DD arrived a month ago and he moves nursery in 4 weeks so I'm thinking wait until after that anyway?

CoteDAzur Tue 30-Jun-09 15:16:57

DD never did. Toilet trained her anyway in under a week.

IpeeFreely Tue 30-Jun-09 15:17:52

wait

he will get it, but you need to juggle new baby/nursery atm, no need to add to your stress yet

Congratulations on new baby

kwaker5 Tue 30-Jun-09 15:22:48

Thanks.

I won't miss some 'golden window' if I wait until I am ready will I? I just worry that if he's not trained by X he will be wearing nappies at school.

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 01-Jul-09 17:14:46

No, in fact you'll make it easier all round because he'll get it in a flash instead of living a wet life for weeks on end

Plus 2.8 is v early for a boy, more like 3.8 would be average

Oh, and best of all - By waiting you get a big boy who will bypass the potty <boak> and go straight to the toilet

Result

<pumps fist for you>

twoclimbingboys Wed 01-Jul-09 17:22:31

I PT'd DS1 at 26 months and he didn't tell me he had poo'ed. He learnt quickly with the help of chocolate buttons.

belgo Wed 01-Jul-09 17:28:53

My children never told me that they had a wet or dirty nappy. They were potty trained at 19 months and 23 months.

Is there a list of rules saying that children have to be able to say when there nappy was dirty before you potty train them? Just as well I never read those rules.

kwaker5 Wed 01-Jul-09 21:02:08

It's not a rule but I have read (BBC website I think!) that it is one of the 'signs'.

I would just be happy that he would tell me his nappy had poo in it instead of finding out once it's been in there a while or just as we are about to go out. And it would be nice to not have to look in his nappy/sniff his bum to find out for myself (sigh).

Like the idea of it happening quicker if I wait though (and of going straight to toilet!)

smallchange Wed 01-Jul-09 21:04:57

Ds never did but I tried him in pants last week and lo! it appears he was ready after all!

It seems (as I can imagine) that it's a lot less comfy being in dirty/wet pants than a nappy in a similar state and he lets me know pretty much straight away. Even better, there have actually been very few accidents and he's getting there.

I was waiting for him to tell me that he needed to go and tbh I reckon I'd have been waiting forever.

Ceebee74 Wed 01-Jul-09 21:06:01

Kwaker DS1 is exactly the same!! I am fed up of sniffing the air and asking and getting the response 'no I haven't pooed' grin And yes it always happens just before we are due to go out! And he is 3 next week so don't worry about it!

Congrats on the new baby - I also delayed potty training due to a new baby and now am procrastinating waiting for some 'mythical' sign that DS1 is ready wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now