Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Dilemma about having two in washables... and how many nappies would I need?

(8 Posts)
naturelover Sun 28-Jun-09 21:22:13

DD is 21 months and wears Wonderoos during the day and a disposable at night. She's showing a few signs of readiness to potty train but not enough for me to really start anything concrete... especially because DC2 is due in a few weeks and I think regression might be an issue even if I managed to potty train her.

Anyway, I always intended to use washables for both children but am now daunted by the sheer quantity of laundry. I only have 18 Wonderoos and I wash them 3 times a week (mainly as an insurance against long drying times when the weather is poor). How many do you think I would need with a new baby and a 2 year old in nappies? The Wonderoos do have the distinct advantage of fitting all sizes.

A friend suggested I put the baby in washables and put the toddler in pull-ups in anticipation of potty training her.

Anyway I suppose I'd just love some opinions based on your experience. Thanks in advance.

CarGirl Sun 28-Jun-09 21:24:53

I had 2 in washables for over a year. I just did a nappy wash most days, it was part of our daily routine. That was more for a case of air drying them rather than the washing IYSWIM.

I'd probably get an extra 10 nappies?

lou031205 Sun 28-Jun-09 21:31:44

I have DD2 (22mo) & DD3 (11 weeks) in nappies.

I have 24 Bumgenius nappies, and was washing nearly every day.

However, at the moment I'm using disposables for DD3 because the weather is so hot, I found she was getting too hot in the BGs.

4andnotout Mon 29-Jun-09 11:05:41

I have dd3 (21mo) and dd4(8mo) in cloth full time, i wash everyday as my buckets get so full. I have far too many nappies but i think i could survive with 20ish.

Alishanty Mon 29-Jun-09 16:08:24

I have 2 in washables 2.10 yr ds and 10 mth dd. I have a variety of sizes and styles but think we have about 30 odd. I remember I bought a couple of wonderoos one size that would fit both but find they leak sometimes. DD is now growing out of the first size and ds is getting too big for some of the larger ones so until ds is potty trained I have to use disposables at night for dd and sometimes pull-ups on ds. Can't see the point of buying anymore as (hopefully!) ds will be potty trained sometime in the near future and we won't need dispoables atall then. We probably wash the nappies every other day and line or air dry. hth.

naturelover Tue 30-Jun-09 07:45:58

Thanks very much for your replies.

I think I will buy about 6 more (to make a total of 24) and do a wash every day if necessary. I might stop wet soaking the terry inners because it doesn't seem as necessary if they are being washed every day.

Octothechildherder Tue 30-Jun-09 09:48:56

I would say 10 aswell but if you can get away with 6 then it would be a good saving if dd is close to training. I would highly reocmmend kushies bright trainers from babycatalogue.com as they hold a full wee!

I never got on with wonderoos but if they work well for you would get some more rather than choose different ones and get confused.

erin99 Tue 30-Jun-09 10:58:00

I have to say I couldn't have washed nappies every day when my 2nd was a newborn. I'd start with your 24 but be prepared to use more disposables on toddler if necessary. Newborns get through so many nappies a day, but it's only for a few weeks so not worth buying loads more nappies for.

24 will probably be fine for 2 in cloth, after the first couple of months. But I'd make your peace with a few more disposables on toddler while baby is new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now