Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

DD goes to nursery without nappy rash and comes home with it?

(15 Posts)
duvetheaven Sat 27-Jun-09 10:57:24

Is there any other explanation other than she is not being changed enough? She is 9 mths. I give the nursery reusables to use and it seems the rash developed at some point during the day as they managed to use a few reusables and when the saw the rash put her in a disposable? This doesn't seem to happen at home?

navyeyelasH Sat 27-Jun-09 11:20:18

it (usually) is either be from not being changed enough or the nursery may be using something on her bum her skin is sensitive to ie>wet wipes?

Most nurseries change disposables every 4ish hours unless the nappy is noticeably full or the DC has done a po. This IMO is not frequent enough for reusable nappies. How often do you change her at home?

twoclimbingboys Sat 27-Jun-09 11:34:08

You have to supply your own wet wipes and any creams etc at Blake's nursery. All of the re-usables I use are ok to only be changed every 3-4 hours (if not pooped in) tbh as they are very absorbent.

I would send in the wipes you use at home with her next time and see if that works.

Washersaurus Sat 27-Jun-09 11:41:09

This happens with DS2 at nursery sometimes too. I have supplied wipes and creams, but most of the time they don't know where they are and I think must use fragranced ones on him, which always cause a reaction.

I have to constantly badger them to change frequently and remind them to apply cream when he is sore. I specifically ask them not to put him disposables unless really necessary.

duvetheaven Sat 27-Jun-09 11:41:59

Thanks for your views . They only use cotton wool and water at the nursery so prob not that. At home I prob check her reusable nappy every 2 -3hrs more for absorbancy as she can be a heavy wetter.

It just seemed strange the way the nursery explained it to me as if this 'redness' ( and it looks very red) just happened.
It will prob be worth pointing out they will need to check reusables more often? Maybe they don't realise this?? hmm

navyeyelasH Sat 27-Jun-09 12:54:37

YUp point it out, they probably don't realise as not many people use them so they wont have experience of them sad. How old are the workers in the nursery?

"They only use cotton wool and water at the nursery so prob not that"

Having worked in (and walked out of) quite a lot of nurseries that made me lol. Sorry, not helpful I know. Obviously I don't know what your nursery is like but I'd say from my experience generally in most nurseries workers will consider this a faff and so they may be using wipes on your dd. Just double check they aren't and hammer home the message you don't want them using wipes.

Instead of cotton wool and water would you consider using muslin squares and a spray bottle? That might make nursery workers more likely to use your method. Do you send in a tub.bottle of water to be used or do they use their own water?

lynniep Sat 27-Jun-09 13:05:45

This happens to DS when they don't notice he's done a poo. It takes less than half an hour of it being next to his skin for nappy rash to develop. Its worse when the kids play outside because they dont smell it and don't check often enough.

I've pulled them up about it again and again - I got them to write on the board 'JP needs his nappy checking every half hour' and it doesnt seem to happen these days.

The other problem we had the other day was that they let his nappy get too full (of wee) and it rubbed against his thigh and that gave him a nasty sore leg as well. They didnt seem to know that was how he got it but it was fairly obvious to me what had happened. I made a big fuss and am hoping there won't be a repeat incident of that either.

ches Sat 27-Jun-09 15:32:11

I'm amazed. DS's nursery changes every hour up to 12 months, then every 2 hours.

mumblecrumble Sat 27-Jun-09 17:04:15

I;m also amazed.

I feel guilty changing every 3 hours at home as they change her as soon as she's wet or soiled!

May be nothing to do with nappy though? Such as change in routine changing something?

Our dd is very tired this week as she's been at nursery more and she has a bit of a rash.
Maybe its the disposables making it worse?

Our nusery write down when they change, contents of nappy and how her bottom [oh so cute and small..] looks in terms of rash or no rash. Does yours? this might help find a pattern?

MrsBadger Sat 27-Jun-09 18:06:19

every hour? [keels over]

hope they're all in cloth

duvetheaven Sat 27-Jun-09 19:10:21

They usually write down the day's info but about 20 per cent of the time the don't. It's not as detailed as what mumble mentioned though.

The nursery is in quite a small building so have seen the changing station but that doesn't mean there is not a secret wet wipe stash somewhere shock.

Think they have def left my DD in her soiled nappies too long. I went to put the nursery nappies in the wash machine earlier and found that they had made no attempt to put any of the poo down the toilet. It was all there as a nice surprise for me today angry. I didn't think I had to explain about scraping the nappy?? Anyone??

I need to take a leaf out of lynniep's book?

duvetheaven Sat 27-Jun-09 19:13:09

Navy - they use their own water.

notevenamousie Sat 27-Jun-09 19:15:52

My nursery completely failed on cloth nappies - I had to give in in the end. they are fab on everything else though. I agree that loose nappies, esp teething diarrhoea can take minutes to cause nappy rash.

mumblecrumble Sat 27-Jun-09 20:41:43

Duvet heaven - sounds like you need to have a chat with them.

I think our cloth nappies work becasue of mutual flexibility:

I think its a lot to ask to get them to scrape poo - presumably they would have to leave the room to do it and where do they put it when baby is being changed? I suggest they shove it all in a bag and they don;t worry about it.

I also tell them that if they're busy etc to jusy use a disposable. They 80% of the time use resuable but I think accepting that sometimes it is easier to use disposable is a token gesture perhaps.

In exchange you tell them your dd is sentsitive to nappy rash and that you would like them to try and help you with that by checking her more.

Also explain that its possible that chemicals in disposables are worse than clothe.

What type do you use?

duvetheaven Sat 27-Jun-09 22:27:01

Mainly give them pockets but also two parters sometimes.
IMO it would n't be too difficult to put the nappy aside and then when you get a minute get rid of most of the poo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now