Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Can you wash nappies every 4 days or is that too minging?

(16 Posts)
KirstyJC Tue 23-Jun-09 19:39:58

I have a (growing) selection of cloth nappies and currently wash them every 3 days.

I am trying to find an excuse to explain to DH why I am still buying more nappies when we already have enough, since for some reason he doesn't appear to be afflicted with nappy-buying fever?!?

I am wondering whether it is possible to wash every 4 days, rather than 3. All the nappy websites seem to say 3 is the longest you should leave it - presumeably due to the smell when you open the bucket to put them in the machine! Does anyone out there do a wash every 4 days? I have 2 pails so could probably squeeze them in, and I think they would fit into a load in the machine - I usually force so much in there that the door needs to be shut with some force anyway, so that should be OK!

I would appreciate any answers. smile

thisisyesterday Tue 23-Jun-09 19:41:18

i've never read that there;s a recommended amount of time to leave (or not leave) them!
until ds3 came along ours were getting washed every 4-5 days i think

4andnotout Tue 23-Jun-09 19:41:56

I find that if i leave it any longer than 2 days the smell is hard to wash out of the nappies, the smell of the bucket is counteracted by a sanitary towel stuck to the lid of the bucket which has tea tree oil or lavender oil on it.
I do have 2 babies in cloth though so have at least 10-12 nappies a day.

MatNanPlus Tue 23-Jun-09 19:43:15

Just be aware you don't overlaod the machine, wet nappies can weigh and the need for a new machine wouldn't be good

tassisssss Tue 23-Jun-09 19:43:53

seems to work here...but my cloth nappies are onto their 3rd child and pretty gross!

HuffwardlyRudge Tue 23-Jun-09 19:45:03

Cor. Not sure but am impressed by how many nappies you must have! I can just about manage to do a wash every 2 days, but I'm really stingy with clean nappies. (I don't keep ds in a dirty nappy, I let him have a bare bum).

I would have thought that if you over-stuff your washing machine it won't really get things clean.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Tue 23-Jun-09 19:45:27

I used to, i used to have nappy wash day on a Saturday am and a Tuesday pm - those were the days <sob>

tassisssss Tue 23-Jun-09 19:59:52

i only wash as rarely as this if I'm doing half and half with disposibles or when i had ds in cloth just for nap and overnight (so 2 a day).

KirstyJC Tue 23-Jun-09 20:01:43

Thanks ladies, think I will give it a try!

Octothechildherder Tue 23-Jun-09 21:51:40

How about chucking you wet ones in with normal washing instead of a special wash and then doing the pooey ones with towels?

Washersaurus Tue 23-Jun-09 21:57:47

Hmmm I have 3 buckets and they get washed every 3-4 days - they don't come out as well as washing every couple of days I have to admit, but then DS2 has poo with tar-like qualities! I do have a large capacity washing machine to fit this amount of nappies in - be warned you will kill an average machine by shoving too much weight in and your nappies will not get properly clean (voice of experience)

RachelTulips Wed 24-Jun-09 15:34:18

I find if i leave it over 3 days the more unsociable contents stain quite badly. (Though i only just have enough to go that long).
My washing machine has a "12 nappy maximum" (plus associated wraps, the hankies i use for wipes and flannels)

claireybee Wed 24-Jun-09 15:43:56

I sometimes leave mine 4 days but usually I have a full load before then. They won't get properly clean if you overload the machine (voice of experience grin)

WowOoo Wed 24-Jun-09 15:47:57

For me that's a bit minging sorry. And the stain and smell thing is true.

I would not leave something stained with spag bol for 4 days, nor a stinky nappy.
So, I'm with your DH here.

I put mine in with other whites. Now, perhaps you think that really is minging grin

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 24-Jun-09 15:50:38

When I had one baby I washed every 3 days cos of the number of nappies I had.

WHen ds2 came along with only 16m age gap I got more nappies but had to wash every 2 or 3 days or we'd run out.

When ds1 was loo trained and ds2 had the mahoosive pile of nappies to himself I used to go 4 days and once or twice 5 days.

If you overload the machine your washing does not get clean, I always did nappies on 60 and hung them out. Lovely clean and fresh.

I always kept my nappy bucket outside near the back door and quite often just lobbed a nappy out of the bathroom window if I'd had to rinse it down the loo. It was in a shady part of the yard that didn't get too warm so no pong problem.

<<wistful longing for the sight of nappies on the line>>

Chulita Fri 26-Jun-09 20:59:30

I find if I leave it more than 3 days
a) they absolutely hum
b) the machine's too full
So I would happily wash less often, nappy wash day comes round soooooo often, but I can't sad mind you, everyone says babies start using fewer nappies as they get older so maybe I'll have the chance to try every 4 days. Let me know how you get on!
I've got enough to last 6 or 7 days without washing blush Got a full set of BG, found out Fuzzi Bunz did daisy print and then most recently fell in love with deliciously furry Itti Bitti D'lish...got to stop looking at nappy pages!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now