Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Stinky nappies after a wash

(7 Posts)
apotomak Sun 21-Jun-09 04:10:12

I am using prefolds on my 15 month old. She inherited them from her older sister. Howewer I recently noticed the smell after they've been washed (still a bit of a wee and poo smell) even though they are clean. I wash them at 60 degrees with persil non bio powder as I always have been doing. I run a cleaning cycle every now and then so I'm pretty sure my washing machine is clean. The moment I hung them to dry the smell spreads through the whole house. They're fine once they're dry ... but my house pongs when they're drying. Any tips?

Yorky Sun 21-Jun-09 06:09:34

I always rinse my nappies before running the main wash cycle, I find a cold rinse helps to avoid setting the wee smell into the fabric, some people recommend adding white vinegar to the rinse as well but I've never needed to.

The normal cause of this is using too much washing powder in the machine, there is a useful article here on how to strip the nappies of detergent residue, and in future I would wash them with half of the amount you are using now.

HTH.

4andnotout Sun 21-Jun-09 07:12:35

Hiya a 60 wash with bio (bold2in1 is fab) and then rinse and rinse until there are no bubbles left usually works on smelly nappies

Hmmm I wouldn't use Bold2in1 on nappies myself, it contains fabric conditioner, which will affect the absorbancy, just a thought.smile

4andnotout Sun 21-Jun-09 07:57:34

It is clay based softener so fine to use on nappies as it doesn't affect absorbtion

Well I never knew that, very interesting. I still wouldn't use it as it's made by Proctor and Gamble, but could be very useful for others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now