Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

washing bg nappies

(9 Posts)
shelsco Thu 18-Jun-09 13:17:15

i've just bought a couple of bg to try out for my DS but i'm a bit horrified by washing instructions. it recommends a hot wash followed by a cold wash followed by a rinse. I have been soaking in napisan which is germicidal and seems to get rid of stains so i assumed a normal wash afterwards would be fine. Don't think i will be able to keep up with 3 extra washes for nappies even every other day once i go back to work. What does anybody else who uses bg do?
By the way, DS is 9 weeks.

ceb80 Thu 18-Jun-09 14:41:04

I dry pail so no soaking (doesn't smell I promise!) then put the nappies into the machine on their own do a rinse or prewash then add rest of laundry to fill up machine and do a normal wash at 40 with an extra rinse. I don't have enough nappies to just wash them on their own.
Oh and don't use fabric conditioner.

HensMum Thu 18-Jun-09 14:49:20

Dry pail, then a normal 60 degree wash. If I've got time, I'll do a long wash with pre-wash and extra rinse. Just a bit of non-bio with white vinegar and a couple of drops of tea tree oil in the fabric softener drawer.

Octothechildherder Thu 18-Jun-09 17:16:06

I wouldn't soak them personally in case it affected the waterproofing. I wash at 40 and add a teaspoon of nice sanitiser - Napisan is very harsh (orange cross). This should easily get them clean.

Chemicals and powder can easily build up in the fleece layer so try not to use too much.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Thu 18-Jun-09 18:30:41

I always dry pailed all my nappies in a lidded container - no need for ‘poo soup’. I did a cold rinse then straight onto a 40 degree wash with a quarter of usual washing powder, bold 2 in 1 is ok to use also. smile

Allegrogirl Thu 18-Jun-09 22:50:06

I work 27 hours and use the BGs when I'm at home only. Still doing my bit but not crippling myself with extra laundry. I usually do a normal 40 degree wash with Ecover and a few drops of tea tree with a 60 degree once a week or so. Always ignored the washing instructions.

GothAnneGeddes Fri 19-Jun-09 10:06:06

Just a query here.

Is any type of Bold better for sensitive skin?

bellygot2go Sat 20-Jun-09 11:27:58

i just rinse them and wash with normal washing. job done. I store them in the washing machine so i cant forget to put them in!

Chulita Sat 20-Jun-09 13:24:59

I use 1 Fairy tab in our wash, dd's got very sensitive skin but this doesn't give her a rash.
I dry pail and wash every 3 days (we've got 15 nappies but usually only use 8/10). Until she started solids I did a 60 degree wash and that was fine. Since she's moved on from bf poo I do a rinse followed by a 40 degree wash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now