Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

First wee on potty. What next?

(5 Posts)
MegBusset Sat 13-Jun-09 20:26:33

Since about Christmas I have been asking DS1 (2.4) every night at bathtime whether he wants to wee on his potty. Up til now he has sat on it but not done anything. Tonight he did a wee on it! <proud>

I have no intention of taking him out of nappies for now, I have a 6-week-old baby and can't be doing with wiping up accidents. But obviously I would like DS1 to carry on getting used to the potty. So any tips as to what to do next? Should I try to get him to use the potty during the rest of the day? or just leave it for bathtime at the moment? What about putting in pull-ups? Any other thoughs?

tia

plonker Sat 13-Jun-09 23:31:36

I left dd (23months) nappy-less and the potty hanging about at bathtime for months (since she was around 18 mo). First of all, the potty was a hat/toy box etc, then she started to sit on it but not actually do anything on it.

After a couple of months (prob from about 20mo, but I guessing here) she started to do a wee or poo on it. It gradually built up from there really. As soon as she got the hang of where to do it and she fully recognised that she was about to do it, I thought we'd be best to give it a go.

She has been fantastic at using the potty when she is bare-bummed. Knickers have been a little harder, but she certainly seems to be getting it and for the last week has only had a handful of accidents - generally one a day or less and always when she's tired.

My advice would be to carry on as you are and encourage your ds to use the potty at bathtime and see where you go from there. For us it was a natural progression.

Good luck and congrats on the baby smile

plonker Sat 13-Jun-09 23:32:42

Oh, and just to add that I'm really not a fan of pull ups when toilet training. I think that they have their place, but can be very confusing for some little ones smile

notnowbernard Sat 13-Jun-09 23:36:02

I waited for dd2 to tell me she wanted to wear knickers, which she did one morning when she was about 2.7

She's wet herself once and pooed herself once since then, which was about 3m ago (and these were in the first week)

SO, SO different from dd1 who I toiletted trained for bloody ages...

If I had another, I know which method I'd go for!

ches Mon 15-Jun-09 04:03:25

First thing in the morning is a great time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now