Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

washing at 60 - really kills germs?

(10 Posts)
babyphat Sat 13-Jun-09 10:47:32

if i wash nappies at 60, will this really kill the germs ie enough to wash with other things like flannels and towels? if i wait till the bucket is full enough for a full load (or even just a bit more than a half load really) it starts to honk a bit

buzzybee Sat 13-Jun-09 10:58:40

I don't think there is a clear answer on this. I do co-mingle sometimes but not with things like flannels that are used on the face. More likely with my own undies etc! Or the towels I use to wipe up messes on the floor...

purplesal Sat 13-Jun-09 11:58:36

I haven't got a link to hand, but somewhere it says that actually washing at 40 is adequate in a domestic situation. Even hospital washing standards are only 72 degrees for 4 minutes and that's to kill infection etc as well. I wash at 40 and only would wash at 60 if mine had a tummy bug or something.

amberatkins Sat 13-Jun-09 22:41:07

I always wash at 40 and sometimes co-mingle, I sort of assumed everyone did....

amberatkins Sat 13-Jun-09 22:42:25

<goes off to wonder if have been doing it wrong all this time>

BCLass Sat 13-Jun-09 22:46:38

I wash at 40 and always stick anything else white (T shirts, work shirts etc) in as well.

amberatkins Sat 13-Jun-09 22:55:38

BCLass I feel a bit better now! wink

JennyPenny22 Sun 14-Jun-09 09:23:47

DO you do a rinse cycle first? If I dont have a full load of nappies, I do a rinse cycle with the nappies, to get the worst off, then add washing to it. I do wash at 60 but thats just personal preference.

saggyoldclothcat Mon 15-Jun-09 10:26:35

I do a cold rinse first, with just the nappies and a spot of lavender oil, then bung anything else in!! I always wash at 40 with sanitizer.

babyphat Tue 16-Jun-09 11:30:42

thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now