Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nappy change time is giving me bruised wrists...

(11 Posts)
wastingmyeducation Thu 11-Jun-09 21:48:15

as DS won't stop kicking me!

He's 13 months old and has never been keen on change time.

At the moment this is displayed by banging his legs down, and trying to roll over and generally whining and squirming and it is getting me soooo frustrated!

For some time giving him something to play with, a little book, toy, tube of cream etc. would keep him busy, but nothing has been working lately.

Is there anything I can do?

TheBreastmilksOnMe Thu 11-Jun-09 21:49:29

Have you tried using those pull-up pants instead?

Sheeta Thu 11-Jun-09 21:50:05

ah, I know this one. DS is 18mo. Just be firm, I don't think there is anything yu can do. Ignore the kicking, it will pass... hopefully.

Sheeta Thu 11-Jun-09 21:54:01

i didn't find that placating with toys helped tbh - thought it was just the start of showing independance. It's not on, told him not to kick and he has stopped. It took 4 months and he still kicks DH, but not me anymore. (if he does he gets pinned down and changed anyway grin)

Sheeta Thu 11-Jun-09 21:54:31

god, didn't I make that sound easy hmm

wastingmyeducation Thu 11-Jun-09 21:59:34

I'm using terry squares. grin I think the kicking open of the folded nappy is more infuriating than the bruised wrists sometimes!

I guess I just need to be firm. He does understand no, but he hates lying on his back and is nearly walking so it must be very frustrating for him.

Sheeta Thu 11-Jun-09 22:21:17

terry squares? shock wow, am impressed!! I didn't make it past 4 weeks with those devices of torture grin

I do think it's (yet another) phase - DS did this for a couple of months, and hated it when I just pinned his legs down, but he got the idea in the end.

wastingmyeducation Thu 11-Jun-09 22:35:48

I'll persevere. smile

lollipopmother Fri 12-Jun-09 12:54:06

Change mat with harness

DD has been impossible to change ever sinceshe learned to roll over and she drives me batty, hence now using the change mat i've linked to. Won't stop the bruising but at least you won't be using all your strength to pin him down just for him to kick you to pieces!

bumpybecky Fri 12-Jun-09 12:59:57

hold on to his feet then!

ds is 17 months and a bit of a wriggler. I can't give him toys etc as he shoves them downards towards his bottom. We've ended up having to wash far too many things that got covered in poo shock

if he starts being silly, I grab hold of his feet, cross them at the ankles and hold firmly with one hand while cleaning him and sorting the nappy with the other hand

if he gets very silly (bucking while I holding his feet, hitting me etc) then I end up pinning his arms and a leg down with my legs (I'm sat on the floor to change him)

trick is to be quick! I've used terries on mine 4 wriggly babies but it is easier to use them as stuffing in pocket nappies as these are really quick to put on

wastingmyeducation Fri 12-Jun-09 14:29:21

Yes bb, he bucks when I hold his legs, ends up with poo all up his back.

We use Bumbles at night which are quicker to do, but I can't really buy new nappies. (Much as I would like to!)

That changemat looks good lollipop. I roll him on his side to get the poo that goes right up to the top of his buttocks though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now