Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

I'm in danger of stopping cloth....very conflicted...help!

(13 Posts)
Squarah Thu 11-Jun-09 16:14:45

I've been using Bumgenius V3 since my DS was born (10 months) and I'm finding it increasingly frustrating so I'm using them less and less and therefore it seems more of a hassle.

The problem is that it just is harder work then sposies. And they tends to leak more often, even lasting less than 3 hours despite fitting well and having 2 inserts sometimes. I've never used fabric softener so I have every reason to suspect I'm doing it right. The claggy poo is so gross to handle when removing inserts etc and involves going between the loo and the bucket and a wriggly baby (dropping liner into loo). And I'm often going out and we use sposies for then anyway - can't face carrying dirty nappies around and then have to divide them up at the end of the day.

I am now pregnant again and tired and slightly nauseated and seem to have lost my cloth nappy mojo. I really can't face buying a whole load more inserts to make them last longer - we've already had a big outlay on them. And when DC2 comes along I just can't see how I'll cope changing two under two with time and quantities and washing...

I'm not really sure why I'm posting. I guess I'm hoping for support one way or another - don't judge me please! blush I'm just very tired!

If I do decide to sell them what do you think is a reasonable price?

belgo Thu 11-Jun-09 16:17:55

I wouldn't judge you for using disposibles. Do what you feel is best for you.

belgo Thu 11-Jun-09 16:19:42

I suppose the one thing that may encourage you to carry on with the cloths is taht both of my children were potty trained relateively quickly and easily, before the age of two, and I wonder if that was done to them both wearing washable nappies and therefore being more aware of when they were wet.

mumface Thu 11-Jun-09 18:43:31

I also lost my enthusiasm for cloth when I became pregnant again with DC3.I started using disposables on my toddler as it was all too much hassle when tired, sick e.t.c. However I am now 36 weeks and getting excited about trying new types again.In fact it seems to be a good distraction to get me through the last few weeks.Looking forward to postie coming by!
It also seems worthwhile buying more large/toddler types to try as they will be used by 2 children. I'd say do whatever makes your life easiest at a difficult time.You can always pick it up later.
If you do decide to sell your bumgenius you can always try two parters once new baby is born.I have found them more reliable.
I am also planning to use sposies on both if I am struggling the first week or two.

Marthasmama Thu 11-Jun-09 18:51:47

I love my Bitti D'lish nappies but I got them when dd was 7 months, after I had stocked up her 6-12 months wardrobe. Now none of her trousers will go over her giant cloth covered arse. I had to undo her trousers while she was eating her lunch today as her gut was hanging over. blush

Could it just be a simple matter of those nappies not working for you? I won't judge you either, I think that the local councils should provide more of an incentive to use them. My nappies cost £230, I will get £30 from my council. hmm Cheers, that helps me out loads!

ziggyf Mon 15-Jun-09 08:38:06

If you want to use sposies then do it! I think BGs generally sell fairly well so you'd get a bit of money back from selling them.

I agree with mumface though - two part systems seem to be more reliable IME than BGs. I have tots bots bamboozles with ME wraps as well as BGs and the tots+wrap combo is much better for my LO. I use the BGs when out and about as they are easier to lug round with me but I definitely need to change them more often and do get wicking round the legs quite alot.

Good luck with the baby!
Ziggy xx

ejvw Mon 15-Jun-09 09:53:29

I totally sympathise. Before I had DS, I was completely convinced I was going to use cloth nappies as much as possible. I signed up to a nappy laundry service before he was even born! In fact I found it quite a challenge and there was no doubt that using disposables (which I have always done when out and about) is a lot easier. I also found pre-folds really unreliable and messy... DH in particular found the whole thing really annoying! I then cancelled the nappy service and ordered some of my own nappies. They took 6 weeks to arrive (demand outstripping supply apparently) and in the meantime I got really used to using disposables and was worried I wouldn't want to go back. HOWEVER I have now been using my flexitots nappies for a couple of weeks and LOVE them! I actually prefer them to disposables now. They look so comfy for DS, haven't leaked once, seem very absorbent and have washed well so far. I'm not trying to advertise them, but just wanted to make the point that it may well be worth trying some other type before you give up - it could just be a question of finding the right ones for you? Having said that if you can't face the poo while pregnant, that's entirely fair enough and I wouldn't judge you!

saggyoldclothcat Mon 15-Jun-09 10:21:43

I agree with ejvw. It could just be a matter of finding out what suits you. We've used cloth for ages now and MUCH prefer it to disps. Some people love BG, others don't.

Do you have a nappy advisor or a trial scheme local to you. Have a look on www.goreal.org.uk/finder. Some advisors (like me!) offer trial kits so you can try a selection of nappies out for yourself and see what works best for you, before committing to a big purchase. Might be worth thinking about?

And (if it helps!) I was worried about having two in nappies and all the washing that would entail - desperately tried to get DS1 trained before DS2 came along, but that failed miserably! blush Anyway, it was actually far easier than I thought - we just got a few extra nappies and it worked out really well.

BlueChampagne Mon 15-Jun-09 12:48:38

If you want to give cloth one more go, try Freecycle for a free random selection, and maybe you'll find something that suits you better.

Good luck.

Octothechildherder Mon 15-Jun-09 23:10:03

You don't need to remove the inserts before you wash them - just check them in! Take them out when they are clean.

Its tought when PG and something just seems like too much hard work. I would keep hold of them til no2 arrives and then maybe try again before you decide to sell - you may change your mind once baby arrives.

If the BG still aren't working would see if you can get a trial kit or visit an advisor.

Where are you based? Like Soggy said - use the nappyfinder to get your closest advisors contact details.

Squarah Fri 26-Jun-09 14:23:56

Thank you so much for all the support and advice. I'm aware that the first trimester is colouring how I feel about everything! I'm not going to rush into anything but am still tempted to sell my BGs to my friend out of conveniance as I'm not sure I want to hang on for 8 months before deciding again.......

Vronsky Wed 01-Jul-09 11:07:20

Message withdrawn

mumblecrumble Sat 04-Jul-09 21:50:52

Hi, [terries rock]
As suggested - perhaps you need to look at the type and method of washing etc.

Have you used liners? Do you keep bucket near changing place so you don;t have to move baby?

Why don';t you just use both? Disposables thn clothes when you can. 10 months AND pregnant!?!?!? Its a miracle you have the energy to type let alone be poo-scraping!

Terrei do rock by the way. Nature baby wraps are great. We got them all off ebay for a round£6 each, terries were about 50p each

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now