Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Washable swim nappies or disposable ones.

(7 Posts)
countesscaloriecounter Tue 09-Jun-09 10:38:55

Ok, we're going away for the Summer holidays and renting a villa with a pool. I'm a first time Mum taking my ds who will be 18 months at that point. We will also be going to a few water parks, as we're taking our teenage foster sons along also, so that also needs to be factored into it.
I just need some advice regarding nappies to use while swimming( for my ds and not the teenagers obviously! grin ) Is it best to get swim shorts with built in nappies that you wash or just disposable swim nappies that you put on under shorts? I'm pretty clueless. What would you recommend. Thanks

MatNanPlus Tue 09-Jun-09 10:46:27

I would use the washable ones and have 2/3 pair, but then i don't like the feel of the disposable ones, they are much bulkier and you'll need to pack loads.

HensMum Tue 09-Jun-09 10:47:05

I've used both disposables (Huggies Little Swimmers) and reusables (trunks with built in nappies from Mothercare) and both have been fine, performance wise. From a cost and environmental perspective, I prefer reusables. One reusable costs about the same as a packet of disposables and lasts longer if you swim regularly.

Be aware though, that neither types of nappies are designed to hold wees, just contain poo, so you need to put them on just before your DS gets into the water.

Have a great holiday!

countesscaloriecounter Tue 09-Jun-09 19:46:46

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea the nappies didn't hold wee's shock. Better not tell the older lads that or they'll be horrified and not set foot in the pool once ds has been in there! grin

Chulita Wed 10-Jun-09 11:16:17

I've got a boots reusable, bought off ebay for a quid grin works really well and is quite snug around the legs. Make sure the one you get fits quite tightly, one nappy we've got gapes around DD's thighs so wouldn't keep anything in!!

erin99 Tue 16-Jun-09 13:45:50

I'm a dedicated cloth nappy user but we take disposables on hols. If a reuseable gets pooed in, it needs a thorough wash which is not always convenient on holiday. You'd need at least 2 pairs at water parks etc, so it starts to look expensive.

Did you know you can put disposable swim nappies through the washing machine and reuse? They last 3 or 4 goes before the elastic goes.

swampster Tue 16-Jun-09 17:29:09

I hear many pocket nappies work fine without the inserts in - not tried yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now