Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW can I get the smell of WEE OUT OF MY BG?????????

(17 Posts)
HeinzSight Sun 07-Jun-09 11:16:25

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

They're only a month or so old.

I washed them all again yesterday, hardly any detergent, then rinsed them 5 times YES FIVE TIMES using white vinegar with each rinse!!!!

They STILL smell!

I've used SurCare, they still smelt, I'm now using Bold 2 in 1.

Help!

What should I try next? Soda Crystals?

HeinzSight Sun 07-Jun-09 11:40:27

bump

kitkatqueen Sun 07-Jun-09 11:41:44

Whats a bg???

movingintothefuture Sun 07-Jun-09 11:45:10

Soda crystals are strong and can bleach. Try Bicarb (out kitchen cupboard) weaker version of soda crystals and does wonders on everything from fisherman's fishy smelling fingers to cat wee smell.

Disolve in hand warm water, leave item to soak for btwn 1-2 hours (or longer if necessary), rinse, (smell) wash as normal

kitkatqueen Sun 07-Jun-09 11:49:31

???? mystified.... Whats a BG????

HeinzSight Sun 07-Jun-09 13:23:53

lol hi kitkat... BG is bum genius nappies grin

kitkatqueen Sun 07-Jun-09 13:34:30

Thanks heinz!! between not knowing what a crab ladder was and then BG I was starting to feel a bit dippy grin.

kitkatqueen Sun 07-Jun-09 13:43:47

I've Just put ds in washables ( about 3 weeks ago) and i've been using soda crystals, smartprice biological washing powder ( we're posh in this housegrin) and about 6 drops of lavendar in the softener bit in the draw. I've been line drying them. tbh all I can smell is lavendar

When my friends dd annointed the seat in my car I discovered that neat dettox poured on neutralised the smell and made it evaporate dry, but not really an option for nappies.

HeinzSight Sun 07-Jun-09 17:20:20

thanks kitkat smile, tbh I did wonder what must have been going through your mind at BG! grin

I'm getting pretty fed up with them smelling especially after all the effort I put in yesterday trying to rinse them totally clean angry

I read (only yesterday) something about lavender oil and tee tree oils being hormone disrupters, I like you, was going to try putting some lavender in with the wash but am thinking twice but. But then, the Bold 2 in 1 I'm using is Lavender hmm

OH AM SOOOOOOOOOO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!

kitkatqueen Sun 07-Jun-09 18:25:40

Believe me u don't want to know grin LOL. The mildest was Baggy Gussets blush so actually I wasn't that far off!! grin

I haven't been doing the washables bit for long but there seems to be a definate improvement with the lavendar drops in the softener bit and the soda crystals, I just took some out that had the lavendear but not the soda crystals and there is still a faint waft. Have also noticed that asdas shea butter and cotton milk baby wipes(oohh ladeeda!) seem to neutralise the smell on the wrap at change time.

I had heard about tea tree but tbh the smell makes me gag atm.

Am going to email the nappy lady in a mo as I only bought 4 wraps and 8 nappies and I'm constantly washing, I also need to get a nappy bucketblush Any top tips on getting a cheap one??

What does everyone else use for the wiping bit?

sorry didn't mean to hijack...

kitkatqueen Sun 07-Jun-09 18:31:00

ps I was also told not to use anything with a softener in it because of it stopping the absorbancy from being so good, I couldn't resist the thought of the smartprice bio powder when it had been roll backed to about £1.60 for 3kgwink

I can't afford bold atm.grin

HeinzSight Sun 07-Jun-09 19:43:44

hi kitkat LOL LOL LOL @ baggy gusset grin

I have spent HHHHHHHHHOUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRS researching and it seems that Bold 2 in 1 is the only detergent with a softener that is totally fine to use on nappies, I think it's because they have a clay based softener which doesn't coat the fibres of the nappy.

BUT, having spent £8 on a bottle of Bold liquid I have found out today that you shouldn't use liquid, only powder. ALSO..... apparently liquid detergents do lots of damage to your machine, so shouldn't be used anyway shock. This nappy adventure has been an education that's for sure!!

Re buckets. I got a cheapy one from Wilkinsons yesterday, £1.50!! It's a bit small so will look to see if they've any bigger, failing that, I'll just buy another.

wiggletastic Sun 07-Jun-09 20:40:15

I got a white plastic bin with a flip top lid from Ikea, can't remember the name but its the mid sized one, cost about £4. We had one of the small nappy pails but it only fit about 5 nappies. The ikea one takes double that at least.

We use Ecover non bio, white vinegar in the fabric softener drawer and have never had any problems with wee smells so far. I have heard Bicarb of Soda is excellent for nappies too.

kitkatqueen Sun 07-Jun-09 21:11:46

Hiya Heinz - clay based softener???? Blimey would never have guessed that one! Funnily tho I was just talking to my dad who is a Which magazine fanatic and he was telling me that most of the "new" cleaning products like cillit bang / vanish type things contain soda crystals as a major part of their make up and thats why they clean so well, I've been chucking soda crystals in my machine for years and he thought it funny that I was using them already instead of the "trust pink" stuff or whatever. I'm on an economy drive atm and soda crystals are only 60p a bag from asda.

Am I truly terrible for buying 2nd hand motherease nappies at 50p a go or am I losing the plot / going ott now??

going to get some white vinegar too - thanks wiggle!

HeinzSight Sun 07-Jun-09 21:34:19

kitkat, that's genius about the soda crystals.... vanish is soo expensive!!

You're not terrible at all for buying 2nd hand. Loads of people do that on here. smile

HeinzSight Mon 08-Jun-09 12:17:50

will try the bicarb tip next....

kitkatqueen Mon 08-Jun-09 14:21:11

Hiya - with the soda crystals you are sometimes left with a stain when it comes out of the wash - things like bolognase - hang it on the line and it will disapear - the uv reacts with the soda crystals apparantly grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now