Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Potty training constipation what shall I do - help - worried

(12 Posts)
tryingherbest Sat 06-Jun-09 14:32:56

OK

so started potty training two weeks ago. Alrady fine with wees - poos were a bit of an issue but Ithough he was OK but now won't poo anywhere and refuses a nappy so he can poo in it.

What the heck do I do? as he's getting consipated but can't force a kid to do a poo. He's three. What is confusing me is that he would do one in the potty or toilet before.

pranma Sat 06-Jun-09 14:59:32

My dgs went a week without pooing just after potty training started 4 months ago[now 2.8] had to have movicol from doc eventually went in nappy but since then all poos in pants or nappies all wees fine-in potty or toilet.You just have to wait I'm afraid but if const goes on too long it will hurt when he goes so you do need meds.

tryingherbest Sat 06-Jun-09 15:52:28

Why won't they do it in the potty? What are you doing to encourage dgs to go in toilet or potty?

Biccy Sun 07-Jun-09 09:17:00

Hi, just thought I'd join you as dd has been potty trained for wees for about 8 weeks, but can't poo on the potty or toilet. Before we really went for the potty training she did get poos in the potty. I am not forcing her at all, so she does her poos in her knickers or on the floor (don't want her to get constipated), and each time I just say 'oh well done, done a poo, next time perhaps it could go in the potty?'. I know she knows it's supposed to happen on the potty, she just can't seem to do it. People have suggested bribery, (i.e. chocolate if she does it), but I think that will just add to the pressure/feeling of failure.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Mon 08-Jun-09 19:07:24

how long has it been? my ds had a few poo issues - i ensured i kept him very very wattered and fruited up so it didnt go hard and then hurt on exit (sorry tmi)as that would put him off more. When he sat on the loo and had it coming he would panic and get off so we had to make him relax and distract him - did by reading a book or talking about dinosaurs etc... then he would flukey pump and out it would plop. Ds goes ok now as he is dinosaur obsesed so i have him clasp his hand and roarr like a dinosaur then he has a dinosaur poo which he likes to announce to all and sundry.

dinkystinky Wed 10-Jun-09 17:58:16

DS1 (3) was potty trained just before his first birthday used to hold it in and do an enormous poo in his nighttime nappy every 4 or 5 days - we read him stories about doing poos (poo goes to pooland was a real hit!) - and encouraged poos on potty or loo by promising a lollipop and an extra story. Took a couple of months but suddenly he realised he could poo on the loo and potty to demand - generally before bedtime - and now he loves doing it but will only do it if left alone on the potty or in the loo.I'd advise upping water and the fruits - pears and plums, dates, prunes, apricots - earlier in the day and not to make a big deal of it - they get it eventually.

ilovechoclate Fri 12-Jun-09 00:53:34

dinkystinky how did you potty train your son before his first birthday?? sounds impossible!

jabberwocky Fri 12-Jun-09 01:26:55

Be careful. He can get an impaction and then you have a whole 'nother issue to face.

I would seriously consider things to soften his stool now - such as prunes etc.

dinkystinky Fri 12-Jun-09 17:34:05

sorry should have read 3rd birthday (DS2 induced sleep deprivation hits again!!!)

ilovechoclate Fri 12-Jun-09 18:16:14

ok DS , hopew you get more sleep soon!grin

OP i agree with watching for impactation, maybe a trip to the doctors to get some Lactolose wil get things moving.

chunglimum Fri 12-Jun-09 18:23:57

My DD has had constipation for a while now and it's wearying because she absolutely refuses to use the potty at all. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that we use a fruity/herbal thing called Caricol and it's great for getting things moving...

tryingherbest Mon 15-Jun-09 22:16:14

That's great advice all of you.

Yep, I'm going to give him banana and prune milkshakes.

I'm doing my level best to be chilled as I don't want him to get a thing about it.I leave the toilet door open with a footstool and his loo seat already there so he doesn't feel any pressure or me standing there gawping. I still give him loads of praise at every wee however.

He's now fully wee trained but I do take him out on long trips in pull ups as he won't use a potty now.

Will also get the herbal stuff as a back up for the weekend if needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now