Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Potty training - when do you give up?

(8 Posts)
PuppyMonkey Sat 06-Jun-09 09:17:38

We've been trying potty training with DD2 (aged 2.2years) for the past two weeks. She has been wet all the time (and doesn't seem all that bothered tbh), hasn't asked to use the potty once, and has got herself all constipated because she won't poo (unless in a nappy at the end of the day, if we're lucky).

She is with a childminder a couple of days (she hasn't had much luck either, just constant wetness and clothes changes) and nursery one day a week (they claim she was dry all day on Thurs, so that's the best day yet!!).

Am I being really awful if I give up for a bit and try again in another couple of weeks?

georgimama Sat 06-Jun-09 09:19:39

Not at all. Try again in a few weeks. I've jsut started with DS (2.3) but he has been tellling me that he needs his nappy changed as soon as he does 1 little wee, and seems quite happy to use the potty. No doubt after a couple of days he is going to bored of the effort involved and regress. It's temporary.

Poos do take much much longer. DN has only just started being prepared to poo in the loo or potty and he's 3. They tend to think they are losing part of themselves or something.

PuppyMonkey Sat 06-Jun-09 09:24:14

Thanks Georgimama. smile

I would be happy to carry on if she in any way seemed interested in using the potty, but she is just so not bothered. I know the poos will take longer to sort... it's just she's gone from being a four poos a day gal to none for two days and it is a bit strange for us! Ah well, isn't parenthood great!? hmm

georgimama Sat 06-Jun-09 09:26:30

Have you seen the potty training guide linked from the home page? It's really helpful (although you're probably got a routine down already if you've been trying for a bit).

DN had a couple of false starts in toilet training and SIL gave him a few fortnight long breaks before trying again. 2.2 is really quite young and if she isn't interested I'd leave it.

PuppyMonkey Sat 06-Jun-09 09:34:55

Yes have seen the MN guide! I wish DD could read it so she knows what she's supposed to be doing... wink

georgimama Sat 06-Jun-09 09:39:03

Ha, if only!

nannyL Sat 06-Jun-09 12:25:48

she sounds completely not ready

give up and try again in a few months

she is still very very young

Alishanty Sat 06-Jun-09 15:24:15

My ds is 2.8 yrs and we have been trying on and off since he was your dd's age. He did show signs of being ready and did have some success but went backwards and is completely not bothered. We have tried rewards, new big boy pants, everything and I just don't think he's ready so am going to leave it until he's 3 even though the nursery are presurring him to start. I just can't deal with the constant washing. I know boys can be harder but maybe your dd will be ready to try again if you leave it a couple of months and then try again. It's just not worth the stress imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now