Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Any tips for starting 2 wk old in cloth nappies?

(5 Posts)
JigglyPiggy Fri 05-Jun-09 16:15:29

I am feeling guilty about my huge cloth nappy collection I have sat upstairs from when DD was a baby (now 4) and want to get DS started.

I mainly have prefolds (cotton bottoms) an assortment of wraps, some coloured tots and some shaped terrys and I used ikea fleece blankets as liners.

So does anyone have any advice for getting started with a boy - do you have to fold the nappy differently etc? are paper liners better for newborn?

Also, do you have any top tips for washing? I am worried that they are going to go stiff and horrid as the water seems different here and DH adds fabric softner to everything! Can you still use that for other washing but avoid it with the nappies?

It feels like a lifetime ago that I had DD in cloth and I can't seem to remember anything!

twoclimbingboys Fri 05-Jun-09 18:12:22

I don't use prefolds so can't help with those - sorry.

Generally use half the recommended amount of detergent and no fabric condidtioner. However, Bold 2 in 1 is great to use as the fabric conditioner in that is clay based and won't affect the absorbency of the nappies.

rocketupbum Sat 06-Jun-09 16:02:39

I used prefolds, i think on the nappy lady website there was some advice re different folds for boys vs girls.
We found paper liners a bit of waste of time with newborn poo. Better to use cloth liners or none at all and just soak them.
I just use detergent to wash and sometimes pop them in tumble dryer to soften for a bout 5 mins.
Hope that helps. We have just started using them with number 2 and it feels good to not be spending money on nappies (although havin to avoid websites as I have a cute wrap addiction!!)

Mij Sat 06-Jun-09 16:20:28

Sorry can't help with folds, although I'd have thought you'd be OK with a generic one for such a tiny babe. Might be different once a bit bigger and taking on more fluids.

Wouldn't use a paper liner - as rocket says, fairly pointless with running poo, particularly if you're BFing.

White vinegar can help to soften them a little. I think I just bunged a capful in with the detergent...

JigglyPiggy Sat 06-Jun-09 19:03:24

Thanks for all your suggestions smile

He's not such a small baby - upto 11lb and not yet 3 weeks!

I'm not sure which is worse spending money on disposables or seeing them mount up in the rubbish!

I think Im going to be brave and sort my collection tonight and get him started tomorrow when I have the whole day to stay at home and check for leaks and nappy explosions!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now