Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Wiping bottoms!

(4 Posts)
Bunch Tue 02-Jun-09 19:33:17

How do you teach a DS, almost 5yrs, to wipe his bottom properly? Is there a knack?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 02-Jun-09 20:47:35

I'm watching with interest!

My ds1 is 3.5 and shows absolutely no interest in wiping his bottom - let alone properly!

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 02-Jun-09 20:53:41

We had to do this with dd1 who is 5, before she started school last Sept.

Basically you have to encourage them to do it independently (with supervision) every time. In my case it was tempting to just take over as poo tends to get smeared where you don't want it etc, and it takes a long time for them to get the hang of it.

I think you have to accept that until the child is older he/she won't make as good a job as a parent would. Even now if dd poos at school she asks me or dh to check when she arrives home and sometimes she has got in a little bit of a state. We just reassure her that if a tiny bit gets on her pants it's ok, but we do insist on thorough handwashing.

Bunch Wed 03-Jun-09 09:38:21

We encourage him to do it himself every time and then check it after but he never seems to get even near the right place let alone clean!! There arms just aren't long enough are they?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now