Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

night time training

(16 Posts)
fifilala Sun 08-May-05 08:40:01

DS is three and two months - decided to night time train this week - have I done this too early, was still having wet nappies but figured that if it is on he is going to wee in it. first night dry all night, downhill since then. Wet bed x 2 every night, not huge amounts and we are also lifting him when we go to bed - will normally perform for us. Wakes up when wet and shouts to us, but I think it has happened a little time before as it is cold, should we give up after only a week and accept that we have started too early??????????

ghosty Sun 08-May-05 08:43:26

We waited until DS was regularly waking early with a dry nappy and asking to go to the toilet. He was 3 and 4 months. We then stopped bedtime milk and lifted him when we went to bed for ages (probably longer than was necessary) ... he was nearly 4 when we stopped doing that (mainly because I was heavily pregnant and couldn't lift him if DH wasn't there).
My advice would be to wait until he is showing more signs of being ready.

Mud Sun 08-May-05 08:46:34

never night trained just waited till they were ready

elibelly Sun 08-May-05 08:59:24

my dd is 4 years and 4 months old and still wears a nappy at night despite being dry in the daytime. Her nappy is always wet in the morning, I don't think she's ever had a dry night. I have been advised by both my GP and a HV not to worry about it until she's over the age of 5.

I'd leave it for a bit then try again in a few months, once your ds has had a few dry nappies anyway or you could just be making a lot of work for yourself for little gain.

bundle Sun 08-May-05 10:22:42

elibelly, we had that too but dd1 was determined to be like her friends so i let her go nappy free (after a bout of thrush which the dr thought might have been made a bit worse by the damp nappy) and we have had mixed results (she's 5 in the summer), we do lift her sometimes which i know you're not really supposed to do but i wanted to boost her confidence really. and last night she didn't wet and i never lifted her.

fifilala Sun 08-May-05 10:32:22

maybe we need to rethink - everything we have don with ds has really been letting him go "cold turkey" ie never responded to controlled crying etc we just had to let him scream - sleeping through the night within 3-4 days, he was daytime potty trained within a fortnight aged 2y8mth apart from recent problems in Nursery which fingers crossed have again sorted themselves within 2 weeks despite me starting a conversation at the end of my tether!

I would like to think I should persevere a bit longer - anybody out there like me????

bundle Sun 08-May-05 10:34:25

fifilala, sorry i was replying to elibelly and hadn't read your post. i think it's a bit early personally but i'm sure lots of others have done it at this age. why the rush?

ghosty Sun 08-May-05 11:19:52

fifilala ... I know people who decided to night train because they thought it was a good idea rather than when the child was ready and had months of broken nights and changing beds at 4am ...
If you want to persevere then go for it but be prepared for the long haul ... personally I am far too lazy to do it that way and waited until DS was ready ... as a result DS has wet the bed twice since he came out of night time nappies.
I was as lazy with thedaytime potty training ....after watching my friend potty train her 2 and a half year old for weeks and week I tried DS at the same age and gave up after 4 days of no progress ... I wasn't prepared to go through the hassle. Tried again at 2 years 11 months and he was dry within 24 hours and never ever had an accident.

shrub Sun 08-May-05 11:39:56

found taking my ds1's pj bottoms off worked as they feel the need to go quicker together with night light and potty by the bed. We talked to him about it before and every night we would say 'as soon as you feel the need to wee jump out of bed and onto your potty'. ignore any accidents and praise like mad when he gets there. we also used mattress cover.

shrub Sun 08-May-05 11:44:08

forgot to add we took his pj's off during the summer when it got warmer and explained to him that it was to help him have a nice dry bed so he didn't have to worry about pulling his trousers down when he needed the potty, we explained he could wear them again when he had a dry bed for a week. we stopped using the word 'wet' and just concentrated on using positive language.

fifilala Sun 08-May-05 13:06:01

Bundle - one of the reasons is he started to get upset when we are putting either nappy or pull ups on askind why etc but more often than not he was trying to take it off - also when going to be we were having about an hour when he was shouting down for a wee wee and therefore not wanting to do it in his nappy.

So far all I am using are pampers mats on the bed, we get him sorted when wet and he just climbs back into bed and goes to sleep,I am maybe trying to do this for me rather than him because I would like to think we can stop using nappies and if we fail he will go back into nappies - I won't allow him to get to the point of being upset and whingey because of interrupted sleep

I think I will see how it goes for another couple of nights

fifilala Sun 08-May-05 13:06:02

Bundle - one of the reasons is he started to get upset when we are putting either nappy or pull ups on askind why etc but more often than not he was trying to take it off - also when going to be we were having about an hour when he was shouting down for a wee wee and therefore not wanting to do it in his nappy.

So far all I am using are pampers mats on the bed, we get him sorted when wet and he just climbs back into bed and goes to sleep,I am maybe trying to do this for me rather than him because I would like to think we can stop using nappies and if we fail he will go back into nappies - I won't allow him to get to the point of being upset and whingey because of interrupted sleep

I think I will see how it goes for another couple of nights

elibelly Sun 08-May-05 16:22:55

thanks Bundle - I'm sure we'll get to the point where dd will have a dry night, but like ghosty I subscribe to the lazy school of parenting, whereby I wait for my kids to make the first move before I do anything, dd will probably still be in nappies at night when she's 10 LOL.

fifilala - I remember reading an article on this a while ago, from what I can remember as well as the desire to be dry at night the child needs to be able to wake him/herself if they need to go and also to produce enough of a hormone (can't remember what it's called) that actually supresses urine production and the bladder's natural reflex to expel urine while we are sleeping. The levels of this hormone increase with age. Maybe your ds just isn't physically ready yet, despite being ready emotionally.

fifilala Mon 16-May-05 21:04:08

Just an update - DS has just had 4 fully dry nights (lifted at 21.30 pm for toilet)getting up at 06.30am and automatically going to potty straight away - can this continue???????????/

bigdonna Mon 16-May-05 22:38:23

hi fifilala yes it can i let my kids tell me when they were ready ds was 2 1/2 yrs and dd was about the same.we limited fluid before bed and lifted them as you are doing .we found out both kids had strong bladders stopped lifting after 2 weeks.but lots of my friends kids still wore nappies at night until they were 6 the doctors wont do anything until 7.to be honest i dont know any kids over 7 wearing nappies so let him quide you. try putting care mat on top of sheet and if he wees you just throw away.soory if this is not much help

fifilala Tue 17-May-05 15:04:30

Hi Bigdonna - using pampers mats as you say ontop of bed - did as they said at first (under sheets) and I thought why am I doing this - wet sheets as well!!! Why I am really pleased is that he is still having his bedtime milk so I am not even restricting fluids........last night he was dry again and this is even with a really barking cough at the moment so I am really pleased with my little guy he is doing really well. Thanks for the reply

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now