Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Daft Question - how often do you change a nappy?

(16 Posts)
tentgirl Sat 30-May-09 20:36:49

Reading another thread got me thinking that maybe I change my 14wk DD's cloth nappy more often than I need to.

So, how often would you change a 3-4mnth's nappy??

4andnotout Sat 30-May-09 20:39:30

I change my dd3 and dd4 at the same time usually every 3-4 hours unless they poo first. They are 7 months and 20 months.

twoclimbingboys Sat 30-May-09 20:58:15

same as 4 - every 3 to 4 hours. Although at that age both my boys pooped several times a day so nappies hardly ever stayed on that long.

At 14 weeks, about every 2 hours ish. They wee a lot at that age.

Sidge Sat 30-May-09 21:06:46

Probably after every feed, so maybe every 2-3 hours?

littleboyblue Sat 30-May-09 21:09:48

My ds2 is 16 weeks and I normally change him at feeding time which can be anything between 3 and 5 hours (mostly 3) Although I do tend to do it a bit more often in this hot weather, must be quite uncomfortable. Ds1 who is 21 month has his changed 4ish hours or when feels full or smells, depends how much he drinks, but again is normally more ofte in hot weather.

onepieceofcremeegg Sat 30-May-09 21:12:52

Every 3 hours or so during the day with cloth nappies. At night I don't change generally. At night we use a more absorbent nappy such as tots, or a disposable.

If you need to change wet nappies more frequently than 2-3 hours in the day, perhaps you need more padding/boosting (depending on type of nappy)

twoclimbingboys Sat 30-May-09 21:14:49

I definitely agree with that - by 14 weeks no changing overnight (unless they have pooped).

onepieceofcremeegg Sat 30-May-09 21:17:10

When dd1 was small (she is 5 now) people used to talk a lot about "heavy wetters" wrt needing a cloth nappy changing very frequently. One doesn't seem to hear that phrase a lot now.

dd1 incidentally was a heavy wetter and the motherease struggled to cope. dd2 is a "lighter wetter" grin

littleboyblue Sat 30-May-09 21:20:47

I still change nappies at night. I stop when they stop waking.
My boys are both 'heavy wetters' and I have had a nightmare finding nappies to cope with it. At one stage, I was changing ds1 every hour and half or he'd leak. I use disposables, and the best I've found are Tescos own brand.

onepieceofcremeegg Sat 30-May-09 21:24:43

Agree re Tescos. However at night I have always had fairly good success with (old fashioned now I know) tots bots cotton with a booster. The baby's bottom doesn't so much look "big" in this but quite enormous though!

tentgirl Sat 30-May-09 21:29:07

Thanks for that, at the moment I always change her when I get her up from a nap and before I put her down for a nap (of course, if nappy clean & dry I won't change it).

Whilst she is up and awake, if I am aware of a poop I go and change it.

We've never had a nappy leak (except a few v explosive poos) but I wonder if thats because I change them so often that they never reach full 'capacity' IYSWIM.

So the question is this, am I changing her too often and making needless washing for myself?? Thing is I don't like to think of her sat in a wet nappy.

littleboyblue Sat 30-May-09 21:31:31

I think you need to do what you're comfortable with really. Like I said, I change more often in summer because I can't imagine it's nice sitting in a wet, hot, sticky nappy.
I wouldn't worry about it, if your happy changing every few hours then carry on. Or you could leave it a bit longer of you wanted and just see what happens

twoclimbingboys Sat 30-May-09 21:44:00

Are the nappies you use fleece lined?

If Blake is in a fleece lined nappy his skin feels dry when I change him even if the nappy is soaked.

tentgirl Sat 30-May-09 22:08:06

Two Yes, I do use a fleece liner so her bum is dryer than without but I still feel bad leaving her in a wet nappy. I've never given it any thought before - if wet = change nappy, but something I read on another thread made me think that maybe everyone else leaves it until the nappy is 'full' IYSWIM.

twoclimbingboys Sat 30-May-09 22:37:14

Oh I see - well no I don't chamge it as soon as the nappy is damp, but wouldn't leave it until 'full' either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now