Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

BumGenius V3 keep leaking at night, HELP!!!

(17 Posts)
HeinzSight Wed 27-May-09 09:26:03

What am I doing wrong???

Poor DD woke about 2 hours early this morning absolutely soaked and shivering sad

This is the second time in a week this has happened.

I'm washing them as per instructions, no fab conditioner, rinse, warm wash, cold wash, extra rinse.

I've had them for about 3 weeks or so now and have never tumble dried them. Would it be an idea to stick them in after the next wash cycle. Does that have any bearing on absorbancy?

HeinzSight Wed 27-May-09 09:51:00

bump

twoclimbingboys Wed 27-May-09 11:13:08

I don't have bumgenius but know that often pockets aren't absorbent enough for nights. Have they just got microfibre inserts in? Have you got anything like hemp you could add in? I do sometimes use wonderoos over night but use bamboo and hemp as imo they are more absorbent than microfibre.

I use Upsy Daisy Night Nappies or Wee Notions Night Notions with fleece wraps, so it is breathable.

JoLucy Wed 27-May-09 12:20:23

I use BG during the day, but wouldn't think they are absorbent (sp?) enough (with just the microfibre inserts) for long periods. I've not been brave enough to try cloth at night yet though - so good for you!

HeinzSight Wed 27-May-09 12:26:55

thanks so far for the responses. I have to confess to being slightly disappointed about the night leaking.

So my options are get some hemp inserts or use disposable for night.

pulchrous Wed 27-May-09 13:39:03

Our BG leak very rarely at night - usually only after a long thirsty day...

We use an extra insert in the night, and used to fold it to be bulkier at the front as DD slept on her belly all night.

HeinzSight Wed 27-May-09 17:25:50

thanks pulchrous. DD isn't normally a heavy wetter, but her nappy was v wet this morning and she'd done a poo!

saggyoldclothcat Wed 27-May-09 19:32:44

I can't get away with BG at night either. You will definitely have more chance of success if you get a bamboo or hemp booster. But with BG be careful not to stuff too much in as that in itself can cause leaks.

Bamboo terries pad folded make for good night-time boosters. You may find you can use this at night instead of the microfibre, rather than in addition to.

Unlurked Wed 27-May-09 21:05:41

I use BG at night (and during the day!). Have had a few leaks but got the hang of it eventually. I use two of the booster pads that come with the nappies at night and make sure there are no gaps around the legs. I imagine you could probably get away with using just one hemp booster rather than 2 microfibres.

I'm no nappy expert by the way, that's just what works for us!

HeinzSight Thu 28-May-09 12:44:44

thanks smile

HeinzSight Thu 28-May-09 14:55:00

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH ANOTHER LEAK after her lunchtime nap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She'd only had it on a couple of hours grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

HeinzSight Thu 28-May-09 20:31:38

bump

feralgirl Fri 29-May-09 09:28:53

Hi Heinz, I stopped using my BGs at night when DS was about 6wo as he was waking from leaks every time he did a wee (I changed him 5 times in one night once angry).

I invested in some Wee Notions Night Notions as inners and a Popolini wool wrap for over the top and I also have a pair of wool shorties (vvv cute!) from Natural Knits for Nippers.

I was a bit hmm about using wool but it is fantastic. DS has had no leaks since and he is also a front sleeper. The wool outers take a bit of lanolising but you only have to wash them once a month so they're no effort at all really.

If you just want to boost your BGs then Wee Notions do excellent bamboo booster pads too but it never worked for us...

Good luck, I know it's really frustrating when you've spent £££ on something briliant like the BGs and then they don't work as well as you expected them to.

HeinzSight Fri 29-May-09 22:24:05

thanks feralgirl, that's exactly where I'm at ggrrrrrrrrrr re spending all that £££!!! AND effort I put into research!!!

Squarah Mon 08-Jun-09 16:13:25

We use BG at night still with my 10mo DS - we use two big boosters and one small but cover it with a motherease wrap - always works. I know what you mean about being frustrated when they leak during the day - takes such an effort to change all of the clothes - especially with a very wriggly crawler!

At nights to be honest we've just switched to sposies as he has just started doing horrendous poos in the night nappies and I just can't face starting the day that way, especially with morning sickness looming wink

saggyoldclothcat Tue 09-Jun-09 12:52:24

Heinz - not sure how old your DD is, but we had trouble with microfibre nappies when DS2 was about a year old and started doing bigger wees. Sometimes microfibre can be slow to absorb - so although it can take a lot of liquid, it can't always suck it up quickly enough iyswim.

Anyway, we solved this by simply putting a bamboo wipe on top next to his skin. So the bamboo absorbs the wee quickly, and then it gets sucked into the microfibre. It works great and doesn't add much bulk (and not much extra expense either).

Just a thought....

KirstyJC Wed 10-Jun-09 12:32:23

Our DS is a heavy wetter and is OK at night with BG - we get up to 12 hours out of them. BUT I do know it can be very hit and miss with pockets at night and I think we are just lucky. I use both inserts during the day (newborn and poppered one) and and night I use 2 poppered ones.

WHen I first used BG at night I was so paranoid about them leaking that I put 2 poppered inserts and 1 newborn inside, then an additional bamboo booster inside. Needless to say that made the nappy so bulky that the elastic bits weren't tight on the legs so of course it leaked...grin!

I would check the legs / waist fit is good and that the elastic is close to the body (although not too tight!).

If all else fails, get some bamboo 2-parts for night use only. Maybe try little lambs - I have some of these and they are very good and cheap compared to the others. Plenty of room to boost further too.

Good luck

PS thanks for the 'getting wee smell out' thread the other day - I watched that and now they all smell of lovely lavender instead of lovely wee...MAJOR improvement!!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now