Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help should I take her to the doctors?

(13 Posts)
sweetkitty Tue 26-Apr-05 21:13:32

DD (9 months) has had bad nappy rash for 3 weeks now. She has red welts on her bum that sometimes bleed. So far I have tried: sudocreme, metanium, camomile tea, using dispoables, using cloths, using cotton wool and water and canestan (in case it was fungal) but nothing has worked, I've also been changing her nappy every 2 hours during the day.

Does anyone have anything else I can try? I'm thinking of taking her to the doctors in the morning???

charellie Tue 26-Apr-05 21:17:50

Yes, definitely take her to the doctor. It may have become infected as there is bleeding.

One of my girls got thrush which canesten didn't budge but the doctor was able to prescribe a cream (timoderm I think) and it cleared up straight away.

Newbarnsleygirl Tue 26-Apr-05 21:18:53

As daft as it sounds, ahve you got any Camilosan? Thats the stuff midwives recommend for sore breasts when feeding.

I used it when I burnt myself and it worked brilliantly. Have also used it on dd'd nappy rash.

wangle99 Tue 26-Apr-05 21:33:32

I'm also having the same problem with DS (18 months). He had nappy rash that the doctor said was bacterial (open bleeding sores) they did a swab which came back as nothing was wrong!

I ended up smothering him with vaseline (and I mean smothering!) and it went. However it's now back again. A mum this morning recommended I bought some calendula (sp?) cream from the health food shop as she swears by it.

tiffini Tue 26-Apr-05 21:37:26

cooking salt (not table salt) in the bath water will help keep it clean and help clear it up, and it does not sting. Also when my little one had nappy rash i aim to bath them 3 times a day, and air there bum as much as possible.

tiffini Tue 26-Apr-05 21:38:40

p.s they only need to be in the bath 5 minutes so it is not very time consuming.

gumnut Wed 27-Apr-05 03:40:32

Is she drinking a lot of acidy fruit juices?

ETsmum Wed 27-Apr-05 07:35:03

I'd go with the vaseline as it's always seemed to help with ds.....but having siad that I'd probably go to the gp as well as its been going on a while....

lilsmum Wed 27-Apr-05 07:59:31

my dd nappyrash was like this a few months ago, he gave me canestan and it cleared it up a treat, really quickly. if nothing has cleared it i would take her.

lilsmum Wed 27-Apr-05 08:02:08

dd has had bad thrush this past week or so, caused by antibiotics, i have been using timodine cream off the doctor and it has almost gone after using it a couple of days, thrush looks very similar to nappy rash, dd's looked like a burn on one area and raised red pimples on another.

Hayls Wed 27-Apr-05 08:36:59

I had this problem a while ago-there's a thread somewhere. In the end I used calendula cream and it literaly disappeared. Dd's rash was broken and sore, probably as a result of using disposables on holiday- she's now allergic to most of them. Also, try not using any products in the bath for a while; put some porridge oats in a sock and use that(sounds daft but leaves skin lovely and soft)

Good luck

sweetkitty Wed 27-Apr-05 10:48:27

Thanks for the advice. As our GP service is terrible (you cannot book an appointment you have to turn up at 7.30am queue until it opens at 8am then get an appointment and wait until you are seen, if you phone at 8 you will not get through for at least an hour and all the appointments are gone) I have decided to take DD to the baby clinic this afternoon and speak to a HV (am I insane? I know? q stupid questions like "are you cleaning her bum at every nappy change" and "are you changing her nappies every time she poos" love getting treated like a 14 year old).

Anyway I will get some calendula cream and try that, we are using bepanthen today.

sweetkitty Thu 28-Apr-05 20:39:17

HV said it was thrush so we have an anti fungal to use for a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now