Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Cleaning up after accidents - what works best?

(8 Posts)
ETsmum Tue 26-Apr-05 08:04:25

Hope this doesn't sound silly, but what sort of things work best for cleaning up the inevitable potty training accidents?? Hoping to "try" with my ds in 2/3 months, IF he seems ready. Just have images of the whole house smelling of wee! Also, want to try going "cold tyurkey" in the daytime anyway. What works best for protecting the buggy/car seat a bit?

Fran1 Tue 26-Apr-05 08:12:11

Accidents on carpet - i blotted as much as possible with kitchen paper, then sprayed something like antibac spray or whatever cleaner was nearby and give it a scrub. Then plenty of febreze everywhere!
Luckily we had recently moved so inherited a disgusting carpet anyway, soon to be replaced, so didnt care too much about it or ruining with cleaners. Had i got a new carpet i would have been more inclined to test patches before spraying with cleaners! And would do carpet shampoo everynow and then to be sure it kept clean.

I didn't go cold turkey outside the home until we had success indoors, i used pullups when out. I must admit i thought this would confuse some children but it didn't dd. But i thought those disposable changing mats would be a good idea for car seats.

The first time i braved a trip to the shops i put an old bath towel on the buggy so that any accidents wouldn't leak into my shopping! But thankfully we had none.
Just stopped off at every public loo we passed .

Its amazing how quickly you become confident in your child. At first i was terrified thinking how am i gonna trust her to ask me? But we are 3mths on and never have accidents now, and i don't have that paranoid feeling anymore.

Good luck!!

LIZS Tue 26-Apr-05 08:20:10

Blot excess with paper towel and then use a baby wipes or anti-bac spray. You can use a Pampers Mats to lay on car seat or buggy, or under them for day time naps, or a shaped washable one called a Piddle Pad !!

tarantula Tue 26-Apr-05 08:24:33

I use a spray bottle filled with water and lavender and teatree oil (lavender for the smell nad teatree for antibac) and it work a treat. Also sprinkle bicarb on the carpet once in a while nad leave for an hour or so and then hoover up which freshens the carpet.

Mind you the carpet is old and just asking to be replaced just as soon as I have the money

gumnut Fri 29-Apr-05 07:30:20

We usually soak up the worst part with a towel, one that needs washing, and then clean the area with a baby wipe.

nellie245 Fri 29-Apr-05 08:12:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nellie245 Fri 29-Apr-05 08:17:48

irishbird Fri 29-Apr-05 08:25:58

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now