Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Teething questions?????????

(11 Posts)
Calmriver Mon 25-Apr-05 13:16:00

My 8 month old has high temperatures, and doesn't want food, think it's down to teething./just bathed her, and she was just covered in goose bumps. Any other advice besides calpol and bongela???She just wants me today.

tid Mon 25-Apr-05 21:45:41

Hi Calmriver,

This sounds like my DD (she's 1 on Wednesday) every time teeth are on the way. At the moment there must be some big ones coming in as it's 10 times worse than previous teeth.

I find Nurofen for Children works much better than Calpol. Bickiepegs also seem to help as she can aim them at the sore spots and bite away.
Just ride it out - let her eat whatever she feels like eating as she'll soon be through it and her appetite will return. Toast, cereal and pureed fruit are all DD will eat when it's teething time, so we load up on protein and veggies when she's feeling better. She needs lots of cuddles, too. I have been carrying DD around most of today - good thing she's not a huge baby!

Nurofen, Bickiepegs, a comfort cuddly toy and an occasional episode of the Fimbles are our recommendations!

Calmriver Thu 28-Apr-05 14:27:24

Thanks Tid.

Will give the n/fen a try. I know what you mean about Fimbles. I had mine screaming with excitement at the tweenies this morning....she must be feeling better.
dd has also gone off her veg and protein. It's a battle getting her to take in fluids, only me(yes! still b'fing)It's got to be the comfort!!!

Calmriver Thu 28-Apr-05 14:28:46

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY Tid's little DD!!!!!

tid Fri 29-Apr-05 09:38:50

Glad your DD is feeling a bit better, and thanks for the birthday wishes!

On top of the big teeth, mine had/has a virus with a sore throat. So her birthday was up and down. She managed to eat a small piece of cake without complaint, though - funny that!

She seems a bit better today, but those fingers are constantly rubbing the back gums. Who knows what fun lunchtime will bring! My HV said "little and often" for food when she's like this, but I haven't actually put that into practice yet.

Comfort is a big help. It's hard to forget about the things I wanted to "get done" when DD just wants to be held, but I'm getting there. I have to say she's much happier when I'm not distracted, so it's worth the effort.

LOL...screaming with excitement at the Tweenies. I don't know about you, but I never thought babies this young would get so excited at characters! Fimbles gets the biggest reaction from my DD, followed by Tweenies. If I sing the Fimbles theme song she makes a mad dash for the TV only to be confused as to why it isn't on. I must stop that!

Calmriver Fri 29-Apr-05 23:09:27

For Tid:

I found that so funny! I can just picture her confused little face. My dd loves the colours more than anything I think. She can't crawl yet, so I put her in the lounge for cbeebies. I'm the one that dances around(picture this!)..
ants in my pants
sounding like a monkey on heat or something! I have to laugh at myself sometimes!

She can't wait to be able to crawl! She gets really frustrated. Her little arms aren't co-operating...not strong enough yet.

Glad your dd got a piece of cake in!!!
I was recovering after my op on my last birthday. Didn't have anything, but toast and water I don't think.

Not looking foreward to the big teeth coming through. Which out of the teeth so far did your dd have more pain with? Do the top ones hurt more?

xx

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 29-Apr-05 23:13:14

Have you tried Anbesol?

You can get it from the chemist and it comes in a little bottle but it's a liquid which you apply like Bongela but it's more effective because it has an anestetic (sp) in it so it's makes the gum all tingly.

My HV recommended it for dd and it's fab. It works wonders on Ulcers.

Calmriver Sat 30-Apr-05 20:06:52

Cool, thanks for that. I will ask again when I'm in town. Anything to help her when she is battling!

tid Tue 03-May-05 19:21:23

Calmriver -

I'm so impressed you do the dancing on Tweenies!!! I'm far too lazy. Must be good exercise. I'll admit to singing along, but that's as far as it goes. If a neighbour would see me dancing around we'd have to move!

An op is not a great birthday present. Hope you get a better gift next birthday!

The crawling will come...dd didn't really get into it until 11 months. I made the mistake(?) of letting her "walk" holding on to my fingers at a very early age, and once she got started on that it was all she wanted to do. So instead of crawling 3 feet to get a toy, she would raise her arms up to be helped up and "walk" to it. She is too hesitant to go it on her own yet, but I'm afraid to wish for it as I'll long for the days where she wouldn't move!

I longed for her to crawl hoping she'd move around on her own...now nappy changing, getting dressed and getting undressed are a challenge as she just crawls away!

As for Anbesol, I can recommend this too! I used it in the States but didn't realise it was available in the UK now. I'll be looking out for it. Thanks Newbarnsleygirl!

P.S. After a week of SEVERE drooling, I'm still none the wiser as to which teeth are coming through.

tid Tue 03-May-05 19:44:44

As for which teeth have been the worst, apart from whichever ones are coming in now, I think so far the first two (bottom centre) have been the worst. DD always has a sniffle and occasional fever at the same time, so it's hard to distinguish what is teething pain and what is the cold, but the first two seemed to go on forever!

Calmriver Wed 04-May-05 22:46:02

Great stuff, We have got over those 2 bottom ones.
Poor thing banged her head today, talk about being 'in the wars'She looked at me very puzzled at first.

She started rolling last night, but she far prefers standing to getting on the floor. It;s a struggle to get her to sit sometimes, I have to laugh!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now