Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Cloth nappies for a newborn

(17 Posts)
beatie Mon 25-Apr-05 09:58:46

My second baby is due in September. For dd1 we used pre-folds from around 2 weeks old. The only problem with prefolds is that they would not contain all the breastfed poohs and we'd have to wash wraps quite frequently.

We continued to use prefolds until DD was about 15 months and then I bought some Mother Ease Sandys. I like these because of the snug fit. The only problem with them is that the whole nappy gets saturated and it's a bit more unpleasant to pick it up and put it in the nappy bucket. I also wonder if it is more unpleasant for the baby.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy some newborn fitted nappies or just stick with the prefolds and buy more wraps.

What do other people like best for young (breastfed) babies?

starlover Mon 25-Apr-05 10:02:52

I used terry squares. and fleece liners. and a litewrap.
You acn fold the squares so that they are a bit less bulky than some of the shaped nappies, but they do tend to hold it all in just as well.

eidsvold Mon 25-Apr-05 14:00:26

i used terry squares as well as muslin squares with fleece liners and plastic pants. Have no probs containing breast fed poo. Dd2 is breastfed 5mth old and using the terry squares. Stopped using the muslin as they were smaller squares that I sewed to use for the early days.

spots Mon 25-Apr-05 14:08:41

Terries and muslins here too. Motherease wraps only worked when she was bigger - the smallest wrap I found was a Bambino Mio one.

moondog Mon 25-Apr-05 14:15:22

I use/used Bambino Mios, but they never seemed small enough for my two when they were (breastfed) newborns. I used the marginally more acceptable Moltex disposables for a few weeks until they fattened up.

NannyL Mon 25-Apr-05 19:54:14

I nannied for a baby who used cloth nanpies from birth.

When he was tiny we used kissaluvs (they do a size 0 where the front bit folds down to protect their 'belly button' area. We used them with mothere ease wraps, (not the popper ones but the velcro ones)
They were great! In fact kissaluvs are my all time favourite cloth nappy (closely followed by motherease sandys!)
We used them with a booster pad, and when he was breast fed, no nappy liner either... we just washed it all

Gem13 Mon 25-Apr-05 19:58:06

I used Motherease one size for both mine from birth. DS was a whopping 9'11 and DD was 8'3 but with a skinny bottom.

Never had a problem with them. I think though with breastfed babies there are always going to be some explosive nappies!

I'm a fan of the Motherease popper wraps.

bensmum3 Mon 25-Apr-05 21:32:36

I used mostly prefolds when ds was very small, mainly because I could afford to buy more, as they need changing more frequently, and they wash and dry quickly. I definately had more wraps than I do now ds is 22 months. I gradually added shaped nappies and now use the prefolds to stuff my stuffable nappies.

hana Mon 25-Apr-05 21:43:53

nannyl - my fave too! the kissaluvs, and then sandys. bought some meos, but don't really like them at all. I don't know anyone using the kissaluvs irl!

NannyL Mon 25-Apr-05 22:04:20

hana i also hate MEOS

i think for a baby they are simply way to big and bulky.... and for a toddler i dont know how they are absorbant enough (compared to other nappies!)

LeahE Mon 25-Apr-05 22:27:53

We used Tots Bots smallest size on DS (but then he was a big baby). The smallest size of Tots Bots wrap would work well on a newborn, even one more conventionally proportioned than DS.

Kiwicath Tue 26-Apr-05 06:21:03

I used MEOS from day 3 with ME wraps. Very happy with them and even though I BF until 14 months, never had the "explosive poo" that I hear people talking about. He's still in the same MEOS plus tots for night.

beatie Tue 26-Apr-05 11:07:28

Hmmm -perhaps I'll just get a few fitteds and also get a few extra wraps. It's not like they're in the little size nappies for long anyway.

moschops Tue 26-Apr-05 16:16:29

i've been driving myself crazy with this decision................think i've finally decided i'm going to make life a bit easier for myself and use Moltex disposables to begin with combined with terry squares and then look into the alternatives when i'm more settled.

i think i'm going to have enough challenges as a first time mum without stressing out about this too!!!!

purpleturtle Tue 26-Apr-05 16:19:45

I used a pack of disposables (maybe 2) for those first disgusting poos, and then went straight over to Kushies Ultra - all in ones. Helped that ds started out at just under 9 pounds. Don't remember any nightmares, but that could just be a selective memory

Maisiemog Thu 05-May-05 16:33:24

We used prefolds with a nappy nippa and the breast fed fold, done up tightly round the legs - it was very neat and fitted teeny weeny baby son, keeping poops in. (5.8lbs).
I keep a tube of travel wash in the bathroom and quickly handwash my wraps EVERYTIME I take them off of ds - but only machine them once a month. We have five wraps, so it works out. I hang them on the clothes horse, which is a permanant fixture in the hall - dry in a few hours.

Cooperoo Sun 08-May-05 17:28:32

I have treated my bump to some size 0 kissaluvs. I didn't use cloth until dd was 3 months old and she has been in size 1 and 2 kissaluvs with ME airflow (popper) wraps so I obviously have these to use again. Although I don't think the bump will be in them long s/he is going to have so much second hand stuff I felt s/he deserved something new just for him/her. I can't wait to use them now. I managed to get a load of seconds from Twinkle Twinkle. I have bought some small Sandy's as well. I have no experience with newborns in nappies though so I am glad to hear the positive stories.
Nanny L - Did you boost from the start? What boosters did you use to fit in such a small nappy?
Sorry for highjack and TIA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now