Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

when did you transfer from potty to toilet?

(18 Posts)
mummylonglegs Mon 18-Apr-05 21:08:14

Dd, 2 1/2 is about 3 weeks into potty training and doing so incredibly well (no accidents in AGES and dry all night most nights too! ). But I haven't really begun to encourage her to use the toilet. Probably because I've been so bowled over by how well she's been doing with the potty. She will wee on the toilet if she happens to be in the bathroom or we're out. But she's never pooed on the toilet and generally prefers the potty.

Do I push it or just be glad with what I've got?

misdee Mon 18-Apr-05 21:22:52

dd2 will only poo in the toilet. and thats only the last 2 days.

get a little seat and step from mothercare, get dd to choose a set herself.

dd1 trianed late and went stright to the toilet.

coppertop Mon 18-Apr-05 21:28:24

Ds1 moved fairly gradually from using the potty to using the toilet. At first he would only use the potty. Next he started using those little child-sized toilets when we were out but only the potty at home. He then moved on to using the toilet for weeing and the potty for pooing before finally giving up the potty for good. It probably took about a month altogether to get to that stage but ds1 was a late starter so I don't know if that made a difference or not.

Dior Mon 18-Apr-05 21:29:37

Message withdrawn

mummylonglegs Mon 18-Apr-05 21:49:53

Hi misdee and coppertop (how exciting to know two posters at once! )

I already have a little step and toilet seat. And we have a portable seat for when we're out. She just doesn't seem that keen yet.

So the potty training's going better now, misdee?

misdee Mon 18-Apr-05 21:51:39

yes, but still havrnt got her into knickers for a whole day. she forgets and has accidents. they were on for all of 5 minutes before she pooped in them today.

she did go to grandmas house and got caught short after her nap on the ay to the potty.

we will crack it!!

mummylonglegs Mon 18-Apr-05 22:01:15

Yes, you will, you determined lady!

coppertop Mon 18-Apr-05 23:15:33

And soon I'll get to go through it all over again with ds2. Aaaarrrggghhh!

donnie Tue 19-Apr-05 18:38:26

sounds like she is doing v well mummylonglegs , I wouldn't push the toilet thing, she will progress to it eventually.

LIZS Tue 19-Apr-05 18:49:23

Settle for what you have ! She sounds liek she is doing well. Continue to use the toilet at other people's houses and out (that way the option of a potty other than at home doesn't ever enter into it) and she'll make the trransition in her own time.

With ds we only had a potty in one toilet after the first few weeks and an insert seat for the other. Gradually he found the toilet more comfy but continued to use the insert. dd didn't actually use a potty for long - her choice - and didn't use a seat insert either, preferring to perch on the seat proper.

mummylonglegs Tue 19-Apr-05 21:04:49

Dd's got a very small bottom and even with the seat inserts she's incredibly precarious on the edge of a toilet. When we're out I usually have to hold her under the armpits while she has a wee. How do you get yours to sit confidently on an ordinary toilet seat?

Shazzler Tue 19-Apr-05 21:12:08

Hi MLL. DD would rather use the toilet. She sometimes asks for her seat and other times she is fine with me holding her.

Can your dd hold on to the side of the toilet seat and balance that way with you there to catch her if she wobbles?

mummylonglegs Tue 19-Apr-05 21:48:19

Hi Shazzler ! She seems terrified at the prospect of being on the toilet seat on her own unless there's one of her smaller seats on it. I can't work out how she can balance herself, her bottom just goes straight down the middle of the toilet!

LIZS Wed 20-Apr-05 09:03:16

dd is also very small and manages it way better than her brother did. She sort of perches weight forwards but hands behind her iyswim. We have had the occasional "bum down the toilet" incident !

mummylonglegs Wed 20-Apr-05 09:52:18

I guess I'm going to have to find a way! I think if she fell down the toilet she'd never go near one again!

gingerbear Wed 20-Apr-05 10:00:26

my DD has a thing about not touching the toilet at all, so I have to hold her under the armpits.
Hope she doesn't end up like me only using the 3rd cubicle on the right...

mummylonglegs Wed 20-Apr-05 14:41:18

Funny you say that, gingerbear, I'm also very paranoid about public toilets and wash my hands about 10 times after using one. Maybe dd's picking up some anxiety from me. I think I may have to always hold dd on 'big' toilets too ...

honeypot01 Sun 24-Apr-05 11:56:19

we used the toilet from the beginning , bought a potty but they're all so small for boys, they're ojk for girls. We bought a toilet seat and we use the step stool which is part of our booster seat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: