Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

undigested food in toddler's poo (sorry!)

(16 Posts)
mummylonglegs Sun 17-Apr-05 13:21:51

Yuck I know. But if you're not eating and don't mind a bit of poo talk ...

My 2 1/2 dd is recently potty trained (hurray!) but it means I've been noticing just what her poo consists of and have been slightly dismayed to see how much undigested food there is in there. Is that normal for a toddler? I know it is for a baby or when a child's first weaning ...

zebraX Sun 17-Apr-05 13:26:38

I think it's supposed to be quite common in adults, too... [insert disgusted smiley here]

Chris Green, I know his books aren't to everyone's liking, but he does say about poop that you should look at the top half of the child. If the top half is bright happy & growing well then it doesn't matter much what comes out the bottom end.

littlerach Sun 17-Apr-05 13:31:25

I think DD1 had this at about 18 months, and the HV actually called it toddler diahroea.

pixiefish Sun 17-Apr-05 13:35:27

I think that most of us pass sweetcorn undigested. Dd also passes raising whole.

A friend of mine had a colostomy bag and he said that he could see sweetcorn and things whole in his poo TMI really I know.

Anyway i think it is normal but have a word with the doc or hv the next time you're there

sallyenglebertstrawberry Sun 17-Apr-05 14:42:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoupDragon Sun 17-Apr-05 17:16:23

Raisins are scarey! I remember being completely freaked out seeing those in nappies.

LIZS Sun 17-Apr-05 18:38:36

With dd at 3 1/2 (if she hasn't already flushed!)you can still see red pepper and tomato skin -looks a bit scary but afaik normal.

happymerryberries Sun 17-Apr-05 18:40:57

If you visit your local sewerage farm you will see the finest tomato plants ever!

Seeds and nuts are often designed to pass through the digestive system intact. It is how some plants spread their seeds. Classic example would be sweetcorn, tomato seeds, orange and apple seeds etc

Surfermum Sun 17-Apr-05 19:29:44

DD (23m) just did a poo in the potty (5th night in a row, yeh!) and there were raisins in it. Sweetcorn comes through undigested too.

mummylonglegs Sun 17-Apr-05 21:25:25

There's sweetcorn for sure and also some skins from red kidney beans and other 'unidentifiable floating objects'! Her poo's quite runny I guess. I never pass out anything that looks quite so overall 'grainy' as hers.

Blimey ... if you'd told me 3 years ago I'd be writing this I'd have fallen over backwards in disbelief!

pixiefish Sun 17-Apr-05 21:32:38

seems fine and normal mummylonglegs- but your child so if you're still not happy I'd mention it next time you see the doc or hv (just in case)

TracyK Sun 17-Apr-05 21:48:43

do yu think chewing food more helps with digestion?
my ds usually always has whole peas and raisins - so I've started mashing some of his peas - as I presume if they come out whole - none of the vitamins would have been absorbed.

mummylonglegs Mon 18-Apr-05 10:13:29

I think you've got a point. I'm not sure dd's big on chewing in general. She seems to let pasta, for instance, slide down whole. And a lot of things that need chewing like apple, she rapidly gets bored of and spits out.

My charming little angel ...

TracyK Mon 18-Apr-05 10:45:21

my ds seems to swallow things fairly whole too! I give him something that I think he'll be chewing on for ages and bingo - its gone!
I'm sure they'll get better at it?? Although I do tend to eat quickly too and don't chew very much - maybe I need to take some of my own advice!

Lonelymum Mon 18-Apr-05 11:01:12

MLL - doesn't sound like anything to worry about to me. Bear in mind though, that if the sweetcorn/peas etc are coming out whole, there wasn't a whole lot of point your child eating them!

chocolatequeen Tue 07-Jun-05 22:25:44

Hi there, hope you're still reading this. My ds had the same problem of runny poo for ages, starting at about 1 year. He was diagnosed with toddler diarrhea, quite common, just means lots of runny poos all through toddlerhood. Main symptom is lots of pieces of undigested food. The child is not actually ill and continues to thrive and gain weight. It apparently will just sort itself out in time. Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now