Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

when to start potty training??

(13 Posts)
jofeb04 Fri 15-Apr-05 19:24:25

Hiya,
My ds is showing signs that he may be able to start potty training. Hes pulling his nappy off constantly, knows when he needs a poo (sorry if tmi), and has dry napppies through the day between naps, however, hes not dry at all over the night!
Our concern is that hes only 13 months old, and we feel this is too young to be potty trained, hes not walking yet, and only saying few words, dada, mama etc.
Is he just being nosy?
Thanks

LIZS Fri 15-Apr-05 19:43:54

I'd suggest leaving it, that sounds more like curiosity to me than actual readiness. Once he can walk you may well find his priorities change and he completely loses any signs of interest. It is much easier if they can really tell you and intiate it themselves physically (running to the bathroom, doing their own clothes etc). Also he just won't make it in time without you continually watching for it and anticipating his needs which sounds like very hard work to me.

jofeb04 Fri 15-Apr-05 20:10:16

Thx for that Lizs.

NannyJo Fri 15-Apr-05 20:14:04

it can't hurt to sit him on the potty and see what he makes of it it has been very successful with some children of his age. My philosophy is never push them and let them tell you when they're ready and it sounds to me he want to give it a go.
Teaching them to just use the potty from an early age is a good thing but don't worry too much if he isn't staying dry though.

Thomcat Fri 15-Apr-05 20:17:15

People always seem to say that summer is agood time to start. out in garden, no nappy and clothes needed so you can be quick etc.
Also his not walking might make things a bit more tricky, maybe??
If he's not talking much how about introducing a tiny bit of sign language so her can sign to you that he wants a wee? The makaton sign is brushing a finger above your breast area but you could make up your own. Just an idea.

carolou Sat 16-Apr-05 08:44:47

If your child is ready to be potty trained it will happen in days. I would give it a go you will soon know! But go straight to pants don't use these pull up nappies, how can a child learn the feeling of wetness when a nappy is there to soak it up! I would comment he is probably not ready yet, you don't say if he actually has a poo after showing you he needs one, he just sounds curious if he is not walking yet it may be that he is just playing with his nappy. My son started pulling off his nappies at about 15 months, but all that followed was lots of washing and stress for me. Don't feel pressured to start to early.

cutemum Wed 20-Apr-05 22:24:57

a top tip on potty training, from my neighbour/bezzy friend .
words from her.....trust me my child was 16 months when we started toilet training. After looking through the baby whisperer book all came clear, her advise...BUY THE BOOK!! p.s toilet training is going GREAT

Lucycat Mon 25-Apr-05 13:40:30

What is the actual name of this baby whisperer book? could someone do a link for me - I'm very lazy!! I fancy trying dd2 to see if she's ready for toilet training yet - I HATE Nappies!!

Lucycat Mon 25-Apr-05 13:54:29

Anybody?

Roobedoo Mon 25-Apr-05 14:22:52

I was reading the latest whisperer recently (Baby W Solves All Your Problems) and she recommends starting potty training at 9 months! Sounds bonkers to me. My ds is 9 months and just crawling - can't see much point in sitting him on the loo as he would have absolutely no idea what was going on (and truthfully I think friends would think I was going loopy).

99redballoons Tue 26-Apr-05 10:27:48

Hi jofeb04, agree with nannyjo, start getting him used to sitting on the potty and see what happens. My ds was interested in the potty from this age and did things sometimes and not others. He thinks of it as a 'nice' place to be and litterally today is his first day with nothing on below, a couple of accidents, but controlled and finished off in the potty. He's being a happy little bunny, 22 months old.

A good friend of mine noticed her dd was controlling very early on too and without any pushing but lots of encouragement on the loo, she became daytime dry at 18 months.

I know it's not common, but definitely not unheard of to become dry before 2. Good luck!

99redballoons Tue 26-Apr-05 10:39:39

PS. Not trying to potty train today, but he needs a nappy free day cos of sore botty. May try again later in the week if today goes well (or is that just wishful thinking!!)

amanda1981 Tue 26-Apr-05 22:49:28

Hi jo my son is about to turn 3 in a few weeks time and i woundered if you could give me advice how to potty train him. He will wear his pants no problem at all but when you ask him or try to get him to use the toliet on the seat he screams like he is scared of it. Is there away i can say to him its ok or will he just come to it in his time. He is due to start nursery in august and i would like him out of nappies (day) if possible for then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now