Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

stuffable nappies - how do they work?

(20 Posts)
katzguk Fri 15-Apr-05 11:51:05

does anyone use stuffable nappies?i'm curious as to how they work. How do you stuff them, with what and once stuffed are they essentially like an all-in-one?

MrsDoolittle Fri 15-Apr-05 11:53:05

That's my question to Katzguk

SamN Fri 15-Apr-05 12:02:03

hi, I used to use stuffables/pocket nappies with ds1. You can stuff them with whatever you like, really, as long as it absorbs the wee. I used folded terry squares as that's what I had from before - but this does make them pretty bulky. (Ds1 used to refer to them as his 'big' nappies ). Hemp or microfibre inserts are supposed to give a slimmer profile.

Once stuffed, they are the same as an all-in-one but containment is far far better imho. You can use more or less stuffing depending on how absorbent you want them to be. Plus you can separate the 'stuffing' and the 'wrap' for washing and they dry really quickly, which was an issue for me as we don't have a tumble drier.

You can pre-stuff them for carers or others who don't want to have to deal with any folding. I think they all tend to be lined with fleece so you don't have to use a liner if you don't want to, but it might help if you want to just drop everything down the loo rather than slucing!

They come in great designs which can help to get the kids on your side. Ds1 used to ask for his cloth nappies as opposed to disposables (which dp still insisted on using).

I suppose the only downside is that they cost more than some other options (but about the same as all-in-ones, iirc).

hth

sweetkitty Fri 15-Apr-05 12:02:56

I have a Bumble that I am going to road test today next nappy change, it looks quite good it's got a built in fleece liner then the pocket which is stuffed with a rectangle of terry towelling (I think you could double up for nighttime).

I have been looking at Fuzzi Bunz which are essentially all in ones with a pocket for stuffing. Wonder if anyone has used them?

SamN Fri 15-Apr-05 12:03:30

oops meant sluicing not slucing

katzguk Fri 15-Apr-05 12:12:30

okay so could i use my bambio mio nappies (prefolds) too stuff with?

am i getting this right essentailly they are a like a nappy wrap but have a pocket inside to put stuffing in.

SamN Fri 15-Apr-05 12:21:49

katzguk, yes to both as far as I am concerned

sweetkitty i haven't used Fuzzis but I have used Minki's and ones made by the PitterPatter lady and I don't think there's much difference.

Maisiemog Fri 06-May-05 08:10:08

Hi Katzguk, I use prefolds to stuff my pocket nappies, however they often seem to leak. If I use a prefold + microfibre towel they are more reliable, but enormous. I would say only buy one to see how you get on and make sure you try it at nap time, as the peepee can run straight out of the back on pockets. I have only tried Minkis, Happy Heinys and Bear Behinds, but I have read on other boards that fuzzibunz and wonderoos all leak as well.
Good Luck!

starlover Fri 06-May-05 08:23:42

I use fuzzi bunz and i love them.
I use mother of eden microfleece inserts which are very thin but hold a LOT of liquid. I use a booster at night as DS will be in nappy for longer.
The microfleece is good as they give a much slimmer fit, it's not much bigger than a disposable!
I also have some slinki minkis which I like too.
When all the microfleece inserts are in the wash I use prefolds/muslin/terry squares/2 boosters!
You can pretty much put anything in there!

sweetkitty Fri 06-May-05 08:33:57

another one for fuzzi bunz, have tried tots bots, MEOs and bumbles, found the other too bulky under her clothes although I use them when she's inside and use unbleached tots at night.

I stuff mine with microfibre inserts they are great really slim and absorbant. Drying is also very quick I washed mine last night hung them on clothes horse the nappies are dry and the inserts nearly dry this morning. This means you could get away with less nappies.

I also like that Fuzzis do a petite toddler version as well. DD is tiny and is only 17lbs (9 months), the petite start from 18-30lbs+ so I'm hoping these will do ehr till potty training. Haven't tried slink minkis cos I have too many nappies as it is.

Maisiemog Fri 06-May-05 09:31:18

Starlover and SweetKitty, I'm interested!!! What is the secret to getting these things to work??
Do you use a big cloth? Do you have to make sure it goes into all the corners?
Have you found any differences in performance as the child gets bigger, wees more?
(My ds is around 20lbs and he wees quite large amounts)
I'm so fed up with feeling nervous whenever I put ds into a pocket nappy. I want them to work!!!

popsycal Fri 06-May-05 09:33:20

have you looked at stuffie nappies
ds1 uses them as a night nappy now he is potty trained and they hold tons of wee....

popsycal Fri 06-May-05 09:34:34

click on infrmation to see how they work

sweetkitty Fri 06-May-05 10:00:59

I use a micro insert it's not that big and it always seems about half saturated when I take it off. The most I've left one on DD is about 4 and a half hours though mostly I change her every 3 hours and they are fine.

You can buy boosters for FBs or use anything really to boost it.

www.babykind.co.uk is where I got mine from, they explain all the different types well.

Maisiemog Fri 06-May-05 10:10:29

Thanks ladies. Pops, funny you should say that, I was just looking at stuffies on a website. V.Cute.
There are a few for sale on UKParents, so I might pop across and grab one.

starlover Fri 06-May-05 12:23:14

I stuff my f-b's with mother of eden microfleece inserts. Never had a leak yet.
DS wears one all night (around 9 hours!), and I put a booster in too and haven't leaked yet!
the micro-inserts are very thin but hold a lot of wee, they don't have to go right into the corners, just where most of the wee will be!
I have to say, they are almost as slim fitting as a disposable, which ds likes!

evansmummy Fri 06-May-05 22:02:12

I'm interested too, doesn anyone use happy heiny's? I love their prints!!

Maisiemog Fri 06-May-05 22:05:46

I use HH - very cute retro, but they leak when I use them. Wah!

Catilla Fri 06-May-05 22:17:04

I also use fuzzi bunz and wonderoos. No leak problems for me. I got them from www.babykind.co.uk - very friendly and helpful service including a 2-week trial at about £1 per nappy. They advised that some babies fit fuzzis and some fit Nature Babes - so I tried both. The NBs leaked so I bought fuzzis - and no leaks except when I left them on too long, or like other nappies when ds is sitting for a long time eg. car seat or rucksack.

Cooperoo Sun 08-May-05 17:41:32

Maisiemog - My dd has always leaked in stuffables too . She had huge thighs though. I have tried so many nappies and had to stick to the two piece system in the end as like you I could never trust a stuffable. It is a shame as I love the idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now