Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Potty training from birth ?? BBC london report in the news

(31 Posts)
MamanFlo Thu 14-Apr-05 19:02:51

I just saw a report on BBC London about mums who train their baby to warn them when they want to poo so that they can put them on the pot, and they do that from birth ! ....which means no nappy ! (DH is delighted at the savings !)

I am quite surprised at this...anyone has tested ot ? is it really possible ? your opinion ?

thanks !

flo

beansprout Thu 14-Apr-05 19:07:43

You would surely have to spend all day every day (and through the night?) watching your baby like a hawk to catch the moment when they want to poo. With a newborn that is several times a day. Can you imagine the dry-cleaning/carpet cleaning bills?!! What is so bad about using a few nappies?!!

kama Thu 14-Apr-05 19:10:27

Message withdrawn

Mud Thu 14-Apr-05 19:11:20

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

foxinsocks Thu 14-Apr-05 19:13:08

I remember reading about this in Junior years ago (sometime when I was pregnant with one of my two - the only time I ever read those magazines!). They got people to try it out and basically it didn't work. You had to be completely tied to the house or willing to basically 'sit' the child on the potty for half the day. There's just no way in today's society that you could do that and stay sane in my opinion.

Surfermum Thu 14-Apr-05 19:14:58

How can that possibly work doing it from birth - when they can't tell you they need a poo or sit?

swiperfox Thu 14-Apr-05 19:16:23

is this for real????

What next - walking from birth??

let them grow up when they're ready i say!!

roisin Thu 14-Apr-05 19:35:41

ROFL!

kama Thu 14-Apr-05 19:35:58

Message withdrawn

roisin Thu 14-Apr-05 19:38:53

Actually a friend of mine has an antique potty chair from "the good old days". It has a bar across it, which you fix across the child's legs, thus pinning them in, and padlock it in place. That way even the most uncooperative of children is forced to sit on the potty .. for hours if necessary ... until they perform!

Thank goodness times have changed

morningpaper Thu 14-Apr-05 20:02:01

There are still some cultures that don't use nappies (eskimos are one I think?!) and the theory is that they 'hold out' the baby when they know it needs a wee/poo. There must be something to it, otherwise Eskimo mummies would be covered in crap.

( mean Inuit don't I?)

alux Thu 14-Apr-05 20:31:58

Chinese babies in the People's Republic don't use nappies, apparently. Read about it in a biography of a Westerner who lived in PRC during the Cultural Revolution. Even in Beijing in the middle of their bitter winters the toddlers go around with the crotch seams of their pants open to the four winds revealing windburned cheeks. This way, when the child wants to 'go' they hold them over an open ditch and they 'go'.

In order to train a baby, apparently, directly after feeding, they stimulate the child to pee/poo using the pavlov's dog reaction.

Read the book about 7 yrs ago so memory a bit hazy.

chipmonkey Thu 14-Apr-05 21:03:18

Yes I've seen this. What they do is, every time the baby does a wee they make a hissing sound in its ear. Then after a while of doing this, they hold the child over a potty and hiss in its ear. Because the child associates the hissing with the weeing, it then wees obligingly! Sounds logical but too good to be true, otherwise we'd all be doing it!

alux Fri 15-Apr-05 14:25:07

Hey chipmonkey, 1 billion chinese being potty-trained that way can't all be wrong!

FairyMum Fri 15-Apr-05 14:31:28

Sounds like madness to me. Your whole life would be an obsession about when your baby would poo.

morningpaper Fri 15-Apr-05 14:32:42

What ... isn't that normal?

tarantula Fri 15-Apr-05 14:38:25

Ive seen a few websites on this. Its known as elimination communication and lots of people swear by it. Ill stick to nappies tho I think. Can se why people did do it tho in the days before washing machines and disposable nappies. Similar to potty timing isnt it which parents used to start at about 6mnths. According to some parents once you get an idea of when a child is going to go its easy to do as most children end up in a routine like they do with feeding IYSWIM.I thougth it was an interesting idea but not for me. Ill see if I can find some links

alux Fri 15-Apr-05 14:45:05

I can see how this works as I can set the time with my bowel movementsand dh's. This system must encourage the same pattern in small children. The mind is one powerful thing when it comes down to suggestion. Soon, the physical would be trained to respond.

Admittedly my lifestyle and the lifestyles of most people in the West is not geared up for developing the system. I can't see how I could get the nursery turned on to it.

Blu Fri 15-Apr-05 14:50:21

Complete madness.
That's why it's called 'potty' training.
Because it's potty.

chipmonkey Fri 15-Apr-05 16:08:38

Alux, 4 billion non-Chinese NOT being potty trained this way can't be wrong!

chipmonkey Fri 15-Apr-05 16:09:33

LOL Blu!

aloha Fri 15-Apr-05 16:10:52

Mad, mad, mad. You could never leave the house. Fine if you live in mud hut and can leave crap anywhere, but not good in a world of shops, buses and upholstery.

suedonim Fri 15-Apr-05 17:38:07

Here's a website about elimination communication. Babies where we lived abroad didn't wear nappies (except in wealthy middle-class families) and I think the parents are just tuned into their baby's needs. Much easier to do in a country where the temp rarely falls below 80deg than here in cold damp Scotland, I must say!!

alux Fri 15-Apr-05 20:56:16

Chipmonkey, who says that all the 4 billion non-chinese can afford nappies?

chipmonkey Sun 17-Apr-05 14:58:46

Alux, since I started using cloth nappies, I've discovered that if you're stuck you can use almost any old rag! Rags are not expensive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now