We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

So babies/toddlers never poo in their sleep, right?

(11 Posts)
JimmyMcNulty Wed 25-Feb-09 20:41:49

Ds is 2.6 and we're planning on having another go at potty training soon after a bit of a half-hearted attempt a few weeks ago. But he seems to have got into the habit of pooing at night or during naps.

It's not diarrhoea and he is in good health. Anything I can do to change things? He eats at pretty regular times (breakfast 8ish, lunch 12-1ish, dinner 5-6ish) but his poos aren't in a routine...

VoodooTheOriginal Wed 25-Feb-09 20:42:37

you cant change it without causing great anxiety! its just a phase, my dd was the same. chill!!!

PlumBumMum Wed 25-Feb-09 20:43:12

yeap poo at night and somettimes in the bath blush

VoodooTheOriginal Wed 25-Feb-09 21:14:53

bath poo. dreaded. Pass the sieve!

DamonBradleylovesPippi Wed 25-Feb-09 21:20:15

dd2, only a baby has pooed at night since she was born. it doesn;t bother her it seems. everymorning the nappy is full. so no advice. dd1 never did.

JimmyMcNulty Wed 25-Feb-09 21:27:46

Ah, righto. Yet another thing I read in baby books that turns out to be wrong.
Thanks

PlumBumMum Wed 25-Feb-09 21:29:08

We no longer have any bath toyswink

DamonBradleylovesPippi Wed 25-Feb-09 21:30:30

she's 11 minths btw. wink

DamonBradleylovesPippi Wed 25-Feb-09 21:30:43

mOnths...

glamourbadger Wed 25-Feb-09 21:33:31

One of my DDs who has always been a fantastic sleeper started doing a poo in the night - think it was around 2yrs. We were horrified - took me back to having a newborn! I read lots of books and changed her diet (no fruit, etc after certain times) but made no difference. It lasted 2 weeks then she stopped and has never done it again.

Hopefully yours is just "another phase" too. Toddlers are strange creatures, I have long stopped trying to figure the out grin

NellyTheElephant Thu 26-Feb-09 11:48:10

I don't think that they actually poo while asleep - even if it happens at night / nap time. DD2 went through a stage of this when we first started potty training her. Basically she initially wasn't overly keen on pooing in the loo (although she would if no other option) so she seemed to store it up until she had a nappy on at nap time or night time. After a few weeks it wore off as she got more comfortable with using the loo and more and more poos were in the loo rather than night nappy. I helped the situation by stopping using a nappy at nap times so that narrowed her options and she had to use the loo.

Did his pooing at these times start while you were trying the potty training? If so it might be the same as my DD and he's just got into the habit of it now even though he's back in nappies generally. Whatever the cause, I'm sure it will wear off. It's a pain but I wouldn't worry too much. While it was going on with DD2 I'd just change her night nappy without comment and generally she hardly even woke up so I'd pop her straight back into bed with no problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now