Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Is there anything I can do for very bad nappy rash? Poor love is sore!

(29 Posts)
WideWebWitch Wed 13-Apr-05 17:44:07

Dd (16mos) has terrible nappy rash and I don't know what else to do. She's only had it a couple of days but it doesn't seem to be improving much. It's really red and spotty but only seems to bother her when I change her and have to use wipes, so I suppose that's something. Any suggestions? I am:

Changing nappy more often
Letting her have some time in the garden with no nappy
Slathering Sudocrem on

I'm using Huggies wipes and my friend (ooh we have such interesting conversations) reckons they've changed them recently, could it be that, more chemicals or something? Anyone else had probs with them? TIA for any advice.

LeahE Wed 13-Apr-05 17:57:02

I find Metanium works better than Sudocrem, although it stains clothes terribly. A friend recommended it and it made a huge difference. As well as more bare bottom time maybe try wping with just cotton wool and plain water for a while?

cat82 Wed 13-Apr-05 17:57:24

Sympathys WWW my dd 10 months has just recovered from increadibly bad nappy rash. Bare bottom and sudocreme did the trick for us, but i've heard metonium is excellant and my dp's mother says the white of an egg is a sure fire cure!
Hope she feels better soon.

cat82 Wed 13-Apr-05 17:58:24

Metanium i meant sorry spelt that wrong!

Yorkiegirl Wed 13-Apr-05 17:59:26

Message withdrawn

PuffTheMagicDragon Wed 13-Apr-05 18:01:51

I used to stop using the wipes when my two had bad nappy rash and used those flat make up wipes made out of cotton wool and some warm water.

That, plus an extra bath (or hose down of botty in shower!), plus liberal amounts of metanium usually did the trick.

fuzzywuzzy Wed 13-Apr-05 18:06:10

This will probably sound bizarre. Make really strong chamomile tea and put a few drops of tea tree oil and lavender oil in it, use it as a wash when changing your dd and let her bottom air dry. Does work I've had to use it a couple of times on dd1.

Amanda3266 Wed 13-Apr-05 18:18:01

Yep - Metanium is the stuff - you can get it in Boots or any chemist - works brilliantly - I found it much better then Sudocrem.

WideWebWitch Wed 13-Apr-05 18:47:26

Thank you very much everyone, I'll get metanium tomorrow and maybe a trip to Fresh and Wild to get Tushies wipes I think.

Waswondering Wed 13-Apr-05 18:53:19

Fuzzywuzzy - camomile tea is an excellent cure for nappy rash in my experience! Splash it on and let it dry. Miraculous!!!

Hope your DD is better soon, WWW!

carras Wed 13-Apr-05 19:09:57

Another vote for metanium here too, works wonders on my ds' bum!

vkone Wed 13-Apr-05 21:41:21

Another vote for chamomile tea, my DS has just had that same rash, I was afraid it was thrush, but two days of cleaning with the tea has worked wonders

expatinscotland Wed 13-Apr-05 21:44:48

Bepanthen ointment.

dinny Wed 13-Apr-05 21:49:05

WWW, don't use wipes. my ds has recently had some probs with his bum (perianal abscesses) and may need an op soon . although not caused necessarily by using wipes the consultant surgeon told me to avoid them unless really can't use water/cotton wool or loo roll. honestly, within about 48 hours of using water only his bum was so much improved.
wipes definitely irritate, IME. and it is easy to use water - I now carry a little tub and cottonwool roll around with us and you do get used to it.

blodwen Wed 13-Apr-05 22:39:36

If Metanium doesn't clear it up in (or drastically improve it) within 24 hours, it is probably thrush. Are there small patches of bright red, raw skin? Canesten cream will clear thrush quickly. Water and cut up J cloths useful for cleaning. Good luck.

Frizbe Wed 13-Apr-05 22:46:57

dd had bad rash a few months ago and we got pescribed daktarin (also used on athletes foot!) but it cleared it up in a few days!

Katiedale73 Fri 15-Apr-05 16:05:05

Just in case you weren't aware, Huggies have now brought out new wipes, which are just water-based and very good on sensitive skin.

My DS (now almost 3.5) occasionally suffers from bad rash and her nursery originally recommended Metanium, which I must admit was fantastic!

Metanium should pay everyone a quid for all the good work we've done here.

tarantula Fri 15-Apr-05 16:09:35

I reccommend chamomile tea too. works wonders. And lots of no nappy time too.

Amberlilli Fri 15-Apr-05 16:21:28

Metanium! Fantastic stuff!!

humphrey Fri 15-Apr-05 21:03:35

I use reusable cloths and water and just let my dd walk around alot without nappy as she gets horrendous nappy rash when teething I think her wee is like acid round this time. We don't use any creams at all on her bum and it always clears up within days.

paolosgirl Fri 15-Apr-05 21:07:15

Conotrane is the best I've found so far. I tried Metanium, but if it's the one I'm thinking of it's yellow and quite sticky (can also stain clothes etc). Conotrane was recommended by a nurse friend who works in ICU - and it's fab. Only costs about £2 for a big tube, and you can but it over the counter from the chemist.

Flossam Fri 15-Apr-05 21:09:47

Bepanthen is one of the few not to contain alchohal. It dosen't take much to work out that alcohal might irritate the skin. That ones my fave anyhow.

Mowjo Fri 15-Apr-05 21:12:56

My son (also 16months) had the same a couple of months ago. Very red and suppurating. Nursery said to cut out fruit, hmm, dubious about that.
We usually use wipes (always fragrance free) but changed to chamomile tea and a little oil, used with washable wipes, and Kamillosan. Then, I would soak one washable wipe, wring it out and put that in a cloth nappy so it was next to his bum for a good while. Minor improvement.
A friend recommended Weleda nappy rash cream - overnight it was almost gone, and by two days it had cleared up.

Kidstrack2 Mon 18-Apr-05 12:53:10

Hi when my baby nephew was in hosptital with bacterial meningitis he was getting lots of anibiotics pumped into his little body which made his bottom really sore. The nurses used the white of an egg to treat it and it cleared up within two days. You just seperate the yolk from the white and use some cotton wool and wipe it on to babys bottom and it drys in to the skin you can leave the nappy off or if its a bit messy a nappy can be used to keep the white near to the skin.

Kidstrack2 Mon 18-Apr-05 12:56:05

P.S I can also vouch for the new huggies wipes I use them on dd who has been getting sore bums while teething. They are like cotton wool and water really soft with no perfumes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now