Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Making cloth nappies soft???

(16 Posts)
soon2befamilyof4 Sun 22-Feb-09 00:09:34

Hi ya. Anybody got any tips for keeping cloth nappies soft? Some of mine have gone so crispy, I wouldn't put them on DD and are horrible to feel even in your hands.

I am currently washing with half dose of washing powder and a bit of white vingegar in the fabric conditioner compartment and then hanging to dry, away from the radiator. What am I doing wrong?

We do have a tumble dryer up in the spare room, which we hardly use but I don't like using it when possible? Can I shove my dry nappies in there for 5 mins? Will that help at all?

gigglewitch Sun 22-Feb-09 00:12:14

was just gonna say (then read your last line!!)
tumble dryer, dryer balls/tennis ball, job done grin

LoveaDAISYcal Sun 22-Feb-09 00:22:16

I try to dry mine on the radiator or outside as much as possible, but put them in the drier for 10 mins just to soften/fluff them up.

If they are really crusty though, I'd bung em in the machine for a rinse cycle, then tumble dry this time and then from here on on do the ten minutes thing.

soon2befamilyof4 Sun 22-Feb-09 11:31:06

When do you do the 10 mins bit though? When they come out of the wash and then you hang them up, or the other way round?

bitofadramaqueen Sun 22-Feb-09 16:19:21

I do the 10 minute thing when they're nearly dry usually. But if that's not going to be possible then I do it when they're straight out of the machine.

I've never done it myself, but I'm sure I've seen on here that rainwater quite good for particularly crusty nappies too. But I'm a bit sleep deprived atm so I might have imagined that grin

MayorNaze Sun 22-Feb-09 16:21:13

take nappies off the line just before they are dry. fold and put away in airing cupboard. should help.

soon2befamilyof4 Sun 22-Feb-09 17:06:12

we don't have an airing cupboard!

lollipopmother Sun 22-Feb-09 17:19:27

You're not doing anything 'wrong', nappies that don't go in a tumbler go crispy without fail. I wouldn't bother with the vinegar, it'll rot the elastic in the end and tbh I didn't notice any difference in my nappies.

soon2befamilyof4 Sun 22-Feb-09 17:25:28

Oh I didn't know it would rot the elastic! I do find it helps a bit, but not enough. Might have to use the dryer then.

Does hanging outside in the summer help?

Quidditch Sun 22-Feb-09 18:40:44

I think washing with ecoballs keeps things softer. I was dubious for a long time about trying ecoballs, but finally bit the bullet and bought the starter one, as it ws much cheaper to buy, (ecoballs 150) and I'm staggered at how well they work. What's more, because there's no powder involved, you don't even have to rinse the washing afterwards!
I'm definitely going to get the 1000 wash ones next time. They reckon the 150 wash ones cost 8p per wash, and the 1000 wash one cost 3p per wash.
Anyway, I'm hooked now, and won't be going back to detergent again

soon2befamilyof4 Sun 22-Feb-09 19:01:17

I bought some eco balls a year or 2 ago but then read some very negative stuff about them online and it put me off. IF I find them then I might start using them for the nappies. Is it really ok to just use them for pooy nappies though?

JoLucy Mon 23-Feb-09 00:50:31

Would be interested to know wha the negative stuff you heard was, S2BFo4. We have them, but I tend to use powder for the nappies. Have cut down on the quantity though.
Am I right in thinking that drying on the radiator leads to crunchy nappies then?

soon2befamilyof4 Mon 23-Feb-09 12:29:46

I can't really remember as it was a long time ago. There was somebody on netmums blush who knew ALOT about washing powders, machines, eco balls, soap nuts etc and she directed me to a lot of links about them. It was enough to put me off anyway.

I THINK some of the reasons were:
-Your machine can eventually get clogged/dirty because there is nothing giving it a good clean
- You clothes eventually will fade and the colours will die and fabric will get ruined, but this isn't a fast enough process to make you realise it is the eco balls that have done it
-It also said that overtime your clothes etc won't smell clean but you might not notice it, but it can be that others will. But if your nappies don't smell of wee and poo then maybe this isn't right?

Don't take my word for any of this, I am just repeating what I was told. I might go and see if I can find the same lady on netmums, although I don't really use NM anymore. I might give them another go though. Maybe eco balls one week then washing powder the next so that it does still get a good clean in between?

BikeRunSki Mon 23-Feb-09 14:31:49

We don't have a tumble dryer or an airing cupboard. I have the crunchy nappy problem too though. I read somewhere that vinegar helps soften them, and have since done about 4 loads with about 1/2 teacup of vinegar (the ordinary brown type) in the powder drawer. Seems to be working - not as soft as if I'd used fabric conditioner, but the nappies won't go all non-absorbent either. Also, give then a good shake to loosen up the fibres before you hang them out to dry, whether indoors or out.

BikeRunSki Mon 23-Feb-09 14:33:48

Poo- obvioulsy should have read the OP properly, and then I would have seem that you are already using vinegar. Sorry for being thick. Can I still blame baby brain? DS is nearly 6 months! Maybe the vinegar thing depends on the chemistry of your local water supply?

soon2befamilyof4 Mon 23-Feb-09 16:09:44

Yes, we are in a hard water area so this obviously doesn't help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now