Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Night-time training - should I persevere?

(14 Posts)
roisin Tue 12-Apr-05 15:35:29

DS2 is nearly 6 and is still very wet at night

He's basically been in pull-ups, but from time to time we've left them off for a few days to see what happens. (He was completely dry daytime at 24 mnths btw).

I took them off 4 nights ago and have been 'lifting' him when I go to bed. In the past he's been sopping wet twice every night (including pillow, sheet, duvet cover and sodden duvet!) so there is some improvement:
Results:
Friday - wet once during night, woke up dry
Saturday - dry
Sunday - wet once during night, woke up dry
Monday - woke up 'damp'. I asked him how he managed to be 'a bit wet', but he didnt' really know!

Anyway, the weather is turning wet tomorrow, so getting laundry dry is going to be a pain again. Please encourage me to persevere, as I think we might be able to crack it this time ...?!

bundle Tue 12-Apr-05 15:36:40

sounds v encouraging roisin and this is incredibly common so not so
do you use a sticker chart?

roisin Tue 12-Apr-05 15:42:28

He get a marble in his jar if he's completely dry. A sticker chart would probably be good, but I thought it might be better when he's starting to achieve a better success rate.

I've always been incredibly laidback about it, but I must confess it is starting to get to me a bit
But I'm determined that he won't realise that!

bundle Tue 12-Apr-05 15:43:47

ikwym roisin. dd1 is nearly 5 and i try to be v matter of fact about it, though she doesn't wet most nights she was much better last year. starting school seems to have unsettled her and have started lifting again. have you been in touch with ERIC? they're v good apparently.

roisin Tue 12-Apr-05 20:16:22

I think I've kind of got '6' in my head as a cut-off point. i.e. if he's not dry by 6 then I'll go and chat with the GP or school nurse or something. Then suddenly '6' is just a few weeks away and I'm starting to worry!

Milliways Tue 12-Apr-05 20:36:16

I had 5 then 6 then 7 as a goal. At 6 the school nurse said he could go to clinic at 7. He was 7 in the August & started clinic in Sept, was home & dry by Christmas.

I think a few factors were involved
1) He REALLY wanted to be dry - cub camp, sleepovers etc. Got v.embarrassed if anyone saw the Dry-Nite packet.
2) The clinic made him want to report good news. They worked on a sticker chart & we choose the rewards. First was a new pair of PJ's, final one was a sleepover. NB, we made our own really snazzy chart with NO reference as to what it was for in case a friend saw it.
3) Drinking more. We cut out ALL fizzy for a while, treats allowed before 4pm on weekends only. Almost forced him to drink more at breakfast, before school, break time, lunch time, on the way home and up to tea time then NO MORE. This expands the bladder - makes things worse for the first few days though.,
4) No more Dry-Nite pants. Apparently if they are aware they are on, they are less likely to wake.
5) No lifting to loo when we went to bed - bladder has to learn to cope.
6) In the day, when he needed the loo - WAIT. Get used to feeling the need to go so it can wake them at night. When cannot wait, COUNT TO 10 at the loo before going (v.difficult for a boy!).
7) Get them to help change the bed. No malice involved, just becoming part of it. Good practice anyway.
8) remind them at least one other child in their class will have same problem.

Here is a good website, discussion boards etc.

Good luck!

roisin Tue 12-Apr-05 22:45:25

Thanks Milliways

roisin Wed 13-Apr-05 07:21:08

Completely dry last night

bundle Wed 13-Apr-05 10:10:38

woo hoo!!!!
(dd1 wet the bed, so up changing bedding at 2am )

roisin Wed 13-Apr-05 10:15:41

At least this time when he does wet he seems to wake up and come and tell me, and it's not that wet, and he helps a lot, so I can pretty much change the bedding without either of us waking up properly! How about you?

bundle Wed 13-Apr-05 10:20:33

i think she's wet quite a bit earlier, as the patch is usually cold, very rarely warm. i did stop lifting her a while back but then when she relapsed i just felt that the constant wetting was getting her down and undermining her confidence..so not lifting every night (including last night) but she doesn't seem that bothered by it.

clary Wed 13-Apr-05 10:38:00

roisin you have my sympathy on this, it took ds1 ages to be dry, we had a long long time of no nappies, occasionally going back, finally stopping as HV said he would get confused. IIRC it went from when he was going on 4 (ds2 was due and I wanted to sort it) in march until November of that year
I bought him a new jigsaw he wanted in the sept which he was to have once he had a week of dry nights, He got it in the nov....
But we were having 1/2 wet sheets a week (never did that pillow, duvet etc thing thank goodness) and I felt I could cope with that.
So persevere, yes it sounds as if you are doign well.
Milliways what fab tips. And bless yr little ds for doing so well

roisin Wed 13-Apr-05 21:22:57

Hooray! He actually woke up this evening and went to the loo! I think this is a first ever!

However, unfortunately he was barely awake and didn't notice the toilet lid was completely down! What a mess!

roisin Wed 04-May-05 20:46:32

Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!
DS2 has now been dry for 14 consecutive days

I'm so relieved. I'd promised myself I wasn't going to get stressed about it, and it wasn't "a problem" whilst he was still 5. He's 6 on Sunday - cracked it just in time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now