Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

When was your dd / ds dry through the night?

(55 Posts)
mummylonglegs Mon 11-Apr-05 15:36:13

We're in week 2 of dd (2 1/2) potty training. She's been doing really well. Although I've no intention of attempting night training, for the last 5 nights she's woken up with a totally dry nappy! So I've stopped putting her in one for nap times but am going to continue with night nappies for the time being as it might be a fluke.

Anyhow, I wondered what your experiences of this were?

elliott Mon 11-Apr-05 15:42:41

ds1 out of day nappies around 2.5; nearly one year later and he's had a dry nappy in the morning about half a dozen times.
It seems (and this is what I've read too) that a substantial minority will train day and night more or less simultaneously. Looks like your dd is in that group. I suppose the rest of us just have to sit it out....

unorganised Mon 11-Apr-05 21:14:32

with both my girls i still put the night nappy on for the first few nights but they were still dry in the morning so after 3 days i took the night nappy away too and the rest, as they say, is history.

we have had very few accidents and i had a washable care mat on the bed which delt with them

it was hard me giving up cloth lol but i get my cloth fix in other ways

xx

mancmum Mon 11-Apr-05 21:17:32

ds was day dry by 2.5 years and night dry at 2.75 years... have to say we were very lucky with him as most of his friends were still in night nappies until almost 4...

we gave up night napies after we noticed they were always dry in morning... would not have even thought it possible to be dry at that age

Gobbledigook Mon 11-Apr-05 21:17:57

I've found (among my many kiddie friends) girls much, much quicker to train than boys (ie at a younger age).

DS1 I waited to train until he was 2yr 9 months and he cracked it in 3 days flat. I kept him in night pull up till about 2.5 weeks ago when he announced he was 4 (it was his birthday) and didn't need one anymore. Took it off that night and we've not had a single accident since - his morning nappies were far from dry so I don't know how he does it but touch wood, so far he's hunky dory!

BTW, I know I could have probably done his night nappy earlier but gave birth to ds3 last August and moved house in Jan so was waiting till all was settled.

mummylonglegs Mon 11-Apr-05 21:29:30

I think I'll keep dd in nappies at night then for a little while and if she's consistantly dry then I'll stop putting them on her in a month or so?

I don't know if she's got miraculous bladder control or what but she also regularly goes over 5 hours in the daytime with no wee! Maybe she doesn't drink enough ... I guess that's another thread!

morningpaper Mon 11-Apr-05 21:34:43

Mummylonglegs: That's what I did (waited until all her morning nappies were dry for a few weeks and then just put her in pants). She was dry day and night by the time she was 2. She is now 2.7 and no signs of regression yet although everyone tells me it will all go wrong because she was trained so early - but she just seemed to have a bladder of steel and it wasn't a really big issue. (I have to admit I pretended she was still in nappies for ages because I was embarassed she was trained so young!!)

mummylonglegs Mon 11-Apr-05 21:38:12

That's amazing, mp. From what I've heard, for what it's worth, regressions are less likely to happen when they're out of nappies at night as well because they forget all about nappies ever having existed. Whereas if they still have them on at night (which most kids naturally do) it reminds them that they can still be babies in that way. But I may be eating my words in a week or so!

secretregular Mon 11-Apr-05 22:03:34

still isn't at 3.5. wees like a bloody stallion as soon as he wakes. its a nightmare.

Gwenick Mon 11-Apr-05 22:05:31

DS1 4.5yrs old and still in nappies at night

frogs Mon 11-Apr-05 22:07:45

It can work the other way, though. dd1 used to ask me, "Can I wee in my nappy?" She only stopped having wet nappies when I ran out of clean ones one night and put her to bed without.

With ds I twigged earlier -- he was dry at night by about 2.5. There do seem to be quite a lot of kids who train early -- you just don't tend to hear about them so much.

Gobbledigook Mon 11-Apr-05 22:09:00

Gwenick, why - perfectly normal! But just cos his nappies are not dry in the morning doesn't mean he won't go through the night. Like I said, ds1s nappies were always wet in the morning as he always takes a drink to bed with him and it's only cos he asked to take the nappy off that we did it.

He does have a bladder of iron though! Never had a carseat accident either..

roisin Mon 11-Apr-05 22:12:15

DS1&2 were completely dry during the day by 24 months. DS1 was sopping wet at night every night, then suddenly dry - literally overnight - when he was almost 5.

DS2 is nearly 6, and is still pretty much consistently wet
I've taken him out of nappies again as a trial, but he's wet 2 nights out of 3.
I'm not stressed about it, but it would be nice to finally put it all behind us. Fingers crossed he might get it this month at last!

Gwenick Mon 11-Apr-05 22:13:08

lol gobblie - put the wrong one meant - not .

We did 'try' him when he turned 4 last september because he said he wanted to wear big boy pants in bed..........we gave up after 1 month as both he and I weere getting stressed. Me from washing sheets, duvet cover and pillowcase EVERY day and him from waking up wet EVERY morning.

I'm not really worried about it at all, he didn't potty train (well toilet actually wasn't interested in the potty) until 1 week before his 3rd birthday, and even then he wasn't totally ready - but I was expecting no.2 3 months later and didn't want to leave it until 'after' the baby was born as I knew it would be MONTHS before I found the energy and patience to do it.

Milliways Mon 11-Apr-05 22:43:41

DD was dry at night by 2! , DS was 7 but no probs now!

lavenderrr Mon 11-Apr-05 23:06:20

ds and dd about 4/5 to 5 years old.

mummylonglegs Mon 11-Apr-05 23:15:27

Blimey, they're all so different, aren't they?

mummyhill Tue 12-Apr-05 08:15:43

My dd now 3 was dry in the day at 2.5 we had a month of dry nights minus nappies last month but as my pregnancy progresses she has regressed and has woken up wiith a wet bed every night this week and has asked to go back into nappies! help What do we do? do we put her back in nappies and try again later or do i persevere with being woken up at 3am every morning to change her bed and have her come cuddling in ours because she is adamant hers is still wet even after I have cleaned and dried the matress protector and put fresh sheets on the bed?

Toothache Tue 12-Apr-05 08:20:15

My ds is STILL soaking wet through the night and will be be 4yrs old in 3 months time. I'm quite worried about him. He's been dry through the day for ages, but still has accidents at least once a week.

He drinks lots of juice before bed so understandable needs to toilet at night, but doesn't get up to go to the toilet, just wets his night nappy. I spoke to the HV about it and she told me NOT to limit his fluid intake. I was going to stop him having juice through the night, but she advised against that.

Don't know what to do anymore. The odd morning where he has woken up with a dry nappy he's been SO proud of himself. But he even wets himself if he has an afternoon nap (2hrs).

At a loss.... maybe I need my own thread for this.

Tissy Tue 12-Apr-05 08:32:24

mummyhill, this happened to us last week. Dd wet her bed twice a night for a week. Put her back into a nappy for one night, when we ran out of sheets, and she had to come in with us, and it was dry in the morning, and has been dry since. Did get a wee specimen checked, but no sign of infection, and hasn't been upset by anything AFAIK. No reason for it, but it did get better!

Bozza Tue 12-Apr-05 08:35:32

Personally if you've had a few dry nappies I would leave them off. If it doesn't work out you can always start using them again. We had dry nappies with DS for a while when he was about 2.8 but didn't do anything as I was in the early stages of pregnancy. And I think we missed an opportunity and went back to heavily wetting. In the end I bit the bullet at 3.5 but it took a bit of working out. He still often needs to get up and go though, used to leave a potty in his bedroom but now he has his torch (is 4.2) and manages quite well.

mummyhill Tue 12-Apr-05 08:55:24

Glad we aren't the only ones but i work 4 evenings a week and all day saturday, am on the go all day with dd and am not getting any rest would it be selfish of me to put her back in nappies for a bit at night, i am 5 months pregnant and the lack of rest is killing me god knows what i will be like by the time i reach full term.

Issymum Tue 12-Apr-05 09:03:11

DD1 is 4y3m and is still in night-time nappies. She very rarely has an "accident" during the day and we have actually had lots of dry nappies in the morning and even had a whole 5 days in a row when she went without a nappy and was dry in the morning. I weakened and put her back in nappies when she was sick with a really nasty virus and had an accident in the night and I haven't got round to trying again. Her nappies are wet again, but my guess is that if we put a nappy on her at night she, quite logically, uses it.

I'm sure she could be dry at night, I simply can't face being woken up in the middle of the night to deal with a wet bed, even if it's only once a week. Uninterrupted sleep is so fantastic when I can get it that I'm putting my needs firmly before hers . Do you think I'm risking psychological harm to DD1? My new plan is to get her out of night nappies once we return from a week long holiday in France at the end of May. That will mean that she's had a good long stretch out of night nappies before she starts school.

ponygirl Tue 12-Apr-05 09:12:38

Ds1 was dry during the day at about 2.8 and during the night at 3.7. We didn't have dry nappies, I just talked to him about it and he decided not to wear them anymore. A couple of accidents, but that's all. Dd is only just out of night-time pull-ups at 4.3. We had lots of dry ones, and tried to drop them a couple of months ago but had lots of wet beds so went into pull-ups. We ran out about 10 days ago and she was fine about not wearing them, and no accidents so far. Fingers crossed!

stitch Tue 12-Apr-05 09:16:03

ds1 wasnt dry at night till five and a ahalf. ds2 at 3 and 9 months still wears a nappy at night.
apparently doctors dont consider it a problem till 7 or above. didnt stop me freaking though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now