Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

At what age & how should they stay dry through the night?

(8 Posts)
MissChief Sun 10-Apr-05 11:35:23

ds (just turned 4 yrs old) v good generally at staying dry in the day, uses loo no problem. At night though, still has a nappy and wakes up with it wet every morning. don't want to rock the boat but am aware should be encouraging him to be dry at night too - any tips? putting him on loo at 11pm etc? TIA.

Tinker Sun 10-Apr-05 11:37:44

Can you just try without the nappy? My little girl still wore a nappy at night at 4 beacuse I was too lazy to be bothered with wet sheets. Nappy wet in morning. But forgot to take some once when staying away - dry nights pretty much ever since.

MissChief Sun 10-Apr-05 11:39:37

Did you just wait it out then, Tinker, wet sheets for a few weeks until she 'learnt' to stay dry?

kid Sun 10-Apr-05 11:40:50

I stopped DD from drinking after a set time when I was getting her out of nappies at night. It worked for us but I read you are meant to teach them to know when they need the toilet. DD is 6 now and will wake in night and go to the toilet if needed.
With DS, we make him go to the loo before he goes to bed and he is up at the crack of dawn anyway and will go again then.
Best thing to do is get a matress protector to be on the safe side.

swiperfox Sun 10-Apr-05 11:42:26

Hiya - I have just had this with dd. I kept her in pull ups overnight even though she was fine during the day. She was wet every morning but i think thats because she had got into the habit of jusst doing a wee in them in the morning because she could. A few days ago i forgot to get pull ups so i had to just put her up to bed and explain that she didnt have to have pants now because she was a big girl, and that if she needed a wee to go to the bathroom.
The first couple of nights i made her go before bed, then carried her to the bathroom when i went to bed and got her up in the mornnig to go but she's been fine so far - no accidents

MissChief Sun 10-Apr-05 11:44:03

thanks both - realise obvious question but helpful to konw what others are doing. will try phasing out nappies then I think..

Tinker Sun 10-Apr-05 11:47:42

Same as Swiperfox really MC. She just didn't (apart form teh odd night or two but no straightaway) wet the bed. Think she'd just got into the habit of knowing she could in her pull-ups.

LIZS Sun 10-Apr-05 11:50:05

ds just decided he would stay dry at night at almost 4. dd is 3 1/2 and still wet in pull ups most night. We are just going to wait it out as sleep is far too precious to me to cope with lifting, changing wet sheets and so on. Think it only starts to become a medical issue at 7 and you may find it will happen naturally quite suddenly well before then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now