Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

what do you use to wash your nappies?

(14 Posts)
starlover Fri 08-Apr-05 14:19:50

I normally use ecover washing powder. However this is becoming quite expensive as am getting through it quite fast with all ds's nappies.

I am kind of loathe to change it because I think he has quite sensitive skin (his dad does, and I also had to stop using baby bath on him).

Does anyone else have a LO with sensitive skin? what do you wash your nappies in?
does it get the breastmilk-poo stains out? (we're talking bright orange here!) the ecover doesn't seem to really have the best stain removal powers... not that i'm THAT bothered... but it'd be nice to find something that would.

basically I am looking for a slightly cheaper alternative than ecover, but that will remove stains and be ok for sensitive skin!!!

oh, and is it ok to use something biological?

Waswondering Fri 08-Apr-05 14:30:15

I use fairy non bio. Don't think ds has sensitive skin though.

Very keen to try the lakeland ball thing but doubtful how it works on nappies . . . . anyone know?

eldestgirl Fri 08-Apr-05 14:38:44

Half quantity of fairy non-bio and a tspoon of napisan. Both ds have sensitive skin but are fine with this combination.

For some reason you're not supposed to use bio powder.

I tried and tried with Ecover but it just didn't get clothes clean.

Can you put your nappies to dry in the sun? That can get rid of bm poo stains, if you're loath to try napisan.

flamesparrow Fri 08-Apr-05 14:40:37

I used Surcare... not great for stains, but sunlight helps with that lots (someone actually pointed out to me that you can put nappies on the windowsill in the sun too.... I always got annoyed with winter and not being able to use the line ).

LO?? Would that be little one?

pootlepod Fri 08-Apr-05 14:56:43

You can use biological powder if your LO can handle it, sometimes I do them in bio and then an extra rinse/wash withourt powder.

I use ecover but only a tinsy amount- you can normally use half of any recomendations and the clothes will still be ok.

The other thing to try is wet pailing, even if you just wet pail those that are pooed on. And sunshine does work, try putting them on the window sill if you can't hang them outside.

chipmonkey Fri 08-Apr-05 15:22:42

Ariel non-bio and a scoop of vanish oxi action max, I find it very good for stains. Someone on MN also suggested white vinegar in the rinse for stains.

LeahE Fri 08-Apr-05 15:24:24

Fairy non-bio. Persil non-bio brought him out in a rash (I wasn't surprised, as anything other than Fairy and Bold seems to bring DH out in a rash). And sunlight really does get rid of breastfed poo stains -- I read that tip here last week and now have nice clean nappies again (well, until the last couple of rainy days).

I've been wondering if the ball thing works on nappies, too. It would be ideal if it did.

erika Fri 08-Apr-05 21:37:24

anyone out there use kushies? finding it hard to leave them in soak with the standard size nappy buckets from mothercare. You can only fit about five in them, not enough to do half a load of washing! Are there any bigger nappy buckets that you can buy? Tend to leave the wet ones on the side, but can't be very hygenic!

CarrieG Fri 08-Apr-05 21:41:51

We use cheap plastic 'bins' from Wilkinsons - they were originally ds's laundry bin & baby-wipe/cotton wool bin, but mutated into nappy buckets when we switched to proper nappies. About £2 each I think.

Or you could use a beer-making bucket - massive & has tight-fitting lid, would hold a full machine load easily.

PotPourri Sat 09-Apr-05 11:42:25

I use all sorts of washing powder. I am alsways on the look out for an eco friendly/cheap way fo washing hte naps. Usually I use home made soap poweder (soapp flakes, soda crystals and bicarb). I am also trying out these things called soap nuts, from an indian plant. You put the shells in a muslin bag and when wet they release saponin, which cleans the clothes. They work really well, but leave no smell, so for normal laundry I use 'real' soap powder as I like my clothes to smell nice. My latest is a tablespoon of bio (not meant to use for babes as it is meant to irritate their skin) with a shake of soda crystals in teh machine. Apparently soap powders are made up mostly of soda crystals anyway.

Also second the Wilkinsons idea. Woolworths and poundstretchers, probably B&Q do similar ones

erika Sat 09-Apr-05 21:40:27

Fab idea. DS has a habit of tipping the nappy bucket over, and we haven't got round to putting lino in our bathroom yet. Thought it would be a good idea to hoover it up from the carpet, so killed the hoover in the process. Doh! Not sure what was going through my head at that moment.

humphrey Sun 10-Apr-05 10:41:30

I use Ecover and only a capful, I soak mine before washing and all the stains appear to come out although it can depend on whether the water is soft or hard in your area as to how clean the washing gets, soda crystals can help to soften the water and help to wash the clothes deeper so adding to your normal powder would help.

starlover Sun 10-Apr-05 11:34:14

i do wetpail them... soak in nappy bright and then wash with ecover.. but those stains aren't budging!

couldn't get any nappy bright last time though, so am having a go with napisan, which isn't as nice ecologically though. and got some fairy non-bio... so will see how we go!

leahbump Sun 10-Apr-05 13:56:06

We use eco balls....they work ok- best on pailed nappies (wet that is) and I pail with water and bicarb.

Sunlight is best for stains..even better than non-bio and vanish!!

Only fault is that grease spots on clothes are hard to get out...but then they don't always come out with other methods either!

Eco balls- mean less can go in the machine..and can only wash up to 60 degrees.

Once in a while i wash all the nappies (note not wraps!) on a hot wash with non bio to spruce them up a bit....MEOS, Tots...have too many nappies !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now